CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women's volleyball team (2-1, 0-0 Ivy) will return to the court this weekend, traveling to UC Santa Barbara for the Thunderdome Classic, Sept. 13-14. The Crimson will first face La Salle on Friday, Sept. 13 at 6 p.m. EST, before taking on San Diego at 1 p.m. EST and host UCSB at 10 p.m. EST on Saturday, Sept. 14.
What to Know
- The Crimson opened its 2019 campaign hosting the Harvard Invitational last weekend, posting a 2-1 record with wins over Sacred Heart (3-2) and Rhode Island (3-1). Sope Adeleye and Sandra Zeng were named to the All-Tournament team after their impressive performances throughout the tournament.
- Senior co-captain Evelyn Gray leads the Crimson attack with 2.69 kills per set. Senior Adeleye adds to Harvard's dominant offense, topping the lineup with a .448 hitting percentage through the Crimson's opening three matches.
- Defensively, junior Zeng guides the back court with 2.92 digs per set, while Adeleye and first-year Ava Rauser have manned the net, each averaging 1.15 blocks per set.
- First-year Ashley Wang made an immediate impact in her opening weekend in a Crimson uniform, leading the team with 4.92 assists per set.
- Harvard will meet San Diego and UC Santa Barbara for the first time in program history. The Crimson holds a 1-0 advantage over La Salle, facing the Explorers back in 2004.
Head coach Jennifer Weiss enters her 27th season at the helm of the women's volleyball program, where she has accumulated a 151-158 Ivy record, has led Harvard to three Ivy League titles and has guided 81 All-Ivy selections during her tenure.
Harvard will return home to host Boston College on Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. to kick off the New England Challenge. The Crimson will then travel to Northeastern on Thursday, Sept. 19 for a 7 p.m. match up.