NEW YORK – Harvard women's tennis bounced back strong on Sunday with a 4-1 rout of Penn on the final day of the ECAC Tournament. With the win, the Crimson (5-2, 0-0 Ivy) earned third place in the field of eight.
The Crimson capitalized early, securing the doubles points after wins on the second and third courts. Natasha Gonzalez and Rachel Lim came away with a 6-4 victory, while Mihaela Marculescu and Kayla Leschly earned a 6-3 decisison.
In singles play, Lim led the charge with a 6-2, 6-2 win on the fifth court. The sophomore's eighth singles win gave Harvard a 2-0 advantage. Rachel Eason's 6-2, 6-3 victory at the third pairing put the Crimson within one point of the clinch.
Marculescu closed the door on the Quakers on the fourth singles court, battling through a first-set tie break and picking up a key 7-6(3), 6-2 win. The first-year picked up wins on all three days of the tournament to bring her season total to a team-high 14.
- Natasha Gonzalez earned her 10th doubles win of the season and fifth with partner Rachel Lim.
- Rachel Eason registered her 10th singles win of the season and sits at 5-1 in dual-match play.
- The Crimson recorded four doubles and seven singles wins in the tournament.
- Overall, Harvard has earned 24-9 and 14-4 records in singles and doubles play, respectively.
Harvard will have two weeks to rest and prepare for a tilt with Boston University at the Murr Center Tennis Courts on Feb. 23. Match time is set for 3:30 p.m., and will be broadcast live on ESPN3.
Harvard – 4, Penn – 1
1. Iuliia Bryzgalova (Penn) def. Jenna Friedel, 6-3, 6-1
2. Ashley Zhu (Penn) vs. Sophia Ho, 7-6, 3-1 DNF
3. Rachel Eason def. Marija Curnic (Penn), 6-2, 6-3
4. Mihaela Marculescu def. Carolyn Xie (Penn), 7-6, 6-2
5. Rachel Lim def. Gibson Thomas (Penn), 6-2, 6-2
6. Clarise Huang (Penn) vs. Lexi Milunovich 5-7, 6-1, 1-1 DNF
Order of Finish: 5-3-1-4
1. Bryzgalova/Curnic (Penn) vs. Friedel/Eason, 5-2
2. Lim/Gonzalez def. Chan/Tartakovsky (Penn), 6-4
3. Leschly/Marculesca def. Xie/Zhu (Penn), 6-3
Order of Finish: 2-3