CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – With a strong 3-1 start under its belt, the Harvard women's tennis team is now focused on the ECAC Tournament this weekend. The three-day, bracket-style tournament will be held at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center in New York and will be hosted by Columbia University.
Harvard was given the No. 1 overall seed in the tournament, based on last season's Ivy League finish. The Crimson will still face a tough lineup of opponents, beginning with Cornell on Friday at 8 a.m. This will be the 45th clash between the Crimson and the Big Red, with Harvard leading the all-time series, 39-5. The last meeting resulted in a 4-0 Crimson win on the final weekend of the season.
It will be a quick turnaround for Harvard, which will play either fourth-seeded Columbia or fifth-seeded Brown, depending on its Friday result.
What to Know
- Harvard went 10-4 overall in matches with Cornell during the Harvard Invitational in November.
- First-year's Sophia Ho and Mihaela Marculescu lead the team with 11 singles wins on the season.
- Senior co-captain Natasha Gonzalez's 62 career singles wins are good for fourth most in a career under Traci Green, The Sheila Kelly Palandjian Head Coach for Harvard Women's Tennis.
- Senior co-captain Lexi Milunovich is coming off of a 6-0, 6-0 shutout in her singles match against UMass.
- The Crimson holds records of 17-4 in singles and 10-2 in doubles during dual-match competition.
Leading the Way
Traci Green, The Sheila Kelly Palandjian Head Coach for Harvard Women's Tennis, is in her 13th season at the helm of the Crimson. Green returns a veteran team that played a pivotal role in helping Harvard to a 17-win season and a second-place finish in the Ivy League a season ago. Currently at 143 wins in her career, Green has the second most wins in team history for a head coach.
The Crimson will have two weeks off to rest and prepare for another in-state showdown with Boston University. The BU-Harvard tilt is schedule for Sunday, Feb. 23, at the Murr Center Tennis Courts at 3:30 p.m.