NEW YORK, N.Y. – After only one week of practice, the Harvard women's tennis team captured two tournament wins at the Columbia Invitational this weekend. Six student-athletes were sent to represent the Crimson, and all of them placed in the top three in their respective flights.
- First-year Mihaela Marculescu started off her collegiate career with a tournament win in the Manhattan draw over Jennifer Kerr of Columbia (7-5, 2-6, 10-7).
- Jenna Friedel, Rachel Eason, Rachel Lim and Sophia Ho all placed second in their perspective flights.
- First-year Demi Snyder defeated LIU's Ekaterine Jorjoliani 7-5, 6-3 to capture third place in the Westchester draw.
- In doubles action, the flight A pairing of Jenna Friedel and Rachel Lim defeated the Columbia duo of Bhan/Ferrari 6-4 in the final match.
- The first-year duo of Marculescu/Snyder placed second in the flight C doubles bracket.
The Crimson return home to host the Harvard Fall Classic at the Beren Tennis Center this weekend. The tournament will feature seven schools competing in a bracket style tournament. Draws will be announced later this week.
Brooklyn Draw (Finals):
Akanksha Bhan (Columbia) def. Jenna Friedel 6-2, 6-2
Manhattan Draw (Finals):
Mihaela Marculescu def. Jennifer Kerr (Columbia) 7-5, 2-6, 10-7
Queens Draw (Finals):
Christie Wan (Columbia) def. Rachel Eason 6-1, 6-4
Staten Island Draw (Finals):
Melissa Sakar (Columbia) def. Rachel Lim 6-0, 6-3
Bronx Draw (Finals):
Shivani Amineni (Columbia) def. Sophia Ho 6-4, 6-3
Westchester Draw (Third Place Match):
Demi Snyder def. Ekaterine Jorjoliani (LIU) 7-5, 6-3
Doubles A (Finals):
Friedel/Lim def. A. Bhan/P. Ferrari (Columbia) 6-4
J. Kerr/S. Amineni (Columbia) def. Snyder/Marculescu 6-3