CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women's tennis team (14-5, 2-0 Ivy) added to its win streak, defeating Penn (11-4, 0-2 Ivy), 4-1, Saturday at the Beren Tennis Center on the campus of Harvard University. The Crimson will ready for another match this weekend, taking on Princeton, Sunday at 1 p.m.
The Quakers would earn its lone point of the afternoon, taking the doubles point. Harvard's pairing of junior Jenna Friedel and first-year Rachel Lim earned a victory in doubles play, defeating Iuliia Bryzgalova and Ojasvinee Singh, 7-5, in a strong effort by the team's No. 2 pairing.
The Crimson would answer back resoundingly in singles, winning four-consecutive matches to clinch the decision. Jenna Friedel earned her second victory of the afternoon, taking down Marta Kowalska, 6-2, 6-4, as the team's No. 2. First-year Rachel Eason battled to a hard-fought, 7-5, 6-2, victory against Ojasvinee Singh. Junior Irene Lu dominated in the sixth-spot, getting past Mimi Levine, 6-0, 6-3.
First-year Rachel Lim clinched the match for Harvard, controlling her match and defeating Marija Curnic, 6-3, 6-4, to cap off a strong effort for the Crimson in singles play.
- Harvard adds to its win streak, earning its sixth win in a row. The team has also won eight of its last nine matches.
- The Crimson improves its all-time series record against Penn, 31-12.
- Friedel improves her singles win streak to eight games and has an impressive 11-1 record as the team's No. 2 player.
- Friedel and Lim tie senior Erica Oosterhout and junior Natasha Gonzalez for the team lead with doubles victories as a tandem with eight.
- With the victory in today's match, Lim has not dropped a singles match in her past seven matches.
Harvard will look to continue its success, playing host to Princeton tomorrow at the Beren Tennis Center. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m.
Harvard def. Penn, 4-1
S1: Iuliia Bryzgalova vs. Erica Oosterhout Unfinished 6-4, 6-5
S2: Jenna Friedel def. Marta Kowalska 6-2, 6-4
S3: Rachel Lim def. Marija Curnic 6-3, 6-4
S4: Ashley Zhu vs. Natasha Gonzalez Unfinished 6-7(4), 5-4
S5: Rachel Eason def. Ojasvinee Singh 7-5, 6-2
S6: Irene Lu def. Mimi Levine 6-0, 6-3
D1: Marta Kowalska / Marija Curnic def. Erica Oosterhout / Natasha Gonzalez 7-5
D2: Jenna Friedel / Rachel Lim def. Iuliia Bryzgalova / Ojasvinee Singh 7-5
D3: Carolyn Xie / Ashley Zhu def. Anna Li / Annika Bassey 7-5