Lin, Ringblom earn wins in singles play for the Crimson (Athletic Communications).
ITHACA, N.Y. – Competing in its first Ivy League match of the season, No. 54 Harvard women's tennis fell to Cornell, 5-2. The Crimson drops to 7-6 on the season with the loss.
Monica Lin and Annika Ringblom went unbeaten against the Big Red, winning their singles matches from the second and fourth positions, respectively, and teaming up in the top doubles position to earn an 8-4 victory. Lin toppled Cornell's Alexandra D'Ascenzo in straight sets, 7-6 (5), 6-2 and Ringblom posted a convincing 6-1, 6-2 win over Lizzie Stewart.
Cornell got out to an early 1-0 lead after securing the doubles point with wins in the second and third slots. The Crimson trailed 3-2 mid-way through the singles matches, but were unable to pick up the final two points.
Harvard continues its road trip at Ivy League foe Columbia on Saturday, April 4 at 2 p.m.
1. Dena Tanenbaum (C) def. Nikki Kallenberg, 7-5, 6-4
2. Monica Lin (H) def. Alexandra D'Ascenzo, 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. Marika Cusick (C) def. Ellen Jang-Milsten, 6-2, 6-3
4. Annika Ringblom (H) def. Lizzie Stewart, 6-1, 6-2
5. Priyanka Shah (C) def. Amy He, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Jane Stewart (C) def. Amanda Lin, 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
1. M. Lin/Ringblom (H) def. D'Ascenzo/Tanenbaum, 8-4
2. Shah/L. Stewart (C) def. Jang-Milsten/Kallenberg, 8-6
3. Cusick/J. Stewart (C) def. June Lee/A. Lin, 8-6