Hideko Tachibana won a pair of matches Friday at Yale (photo Gil Talbot).
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The No. 30 Yale women's tennis team got past Harvard, 6-1, Friday afternoon in New Haven, Conn. Hideko Tachibana led Harvard with a pair of wins.
In doubles, Harvard's lone win came in the No. 1 position. Tachibana and Kristin Norton, currently ranked No. 78 in the nation among doubles tandems, beat Yale's Vicky Brook and Amber Li, 8-6.
The Crimson dropped the other two doubles matches, 8-2, as the Bulldogs took the doubles point for a 1-0 lead.
Tachibana was also the lone Crimson to win a singles match. The junior co-captain knocked off Elizabeth Epstein, 7-6, (4), 6-7 (2), 1-0 (13-11), in a lengthy match in the No. 1 spot.
Tachibana advanced to 3-2 in singles during Ivy League play.
Two other Harvard players played to third-set tiebreakers. Norton fell to Hanna Yu, 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7), at No. 3 singles, while Yale's Vicky Brook slipped past Natalie Blosser, 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-8).
Camille Jania (No. 2), Samantha Gridley (No. 5) and Kelly Whelan (No. 6) all fell in straight sets to their Bulldog opponents.
With the victory, Yale clinched at least a share of the Ivy League title and needs one more win to earn a berth to the NCAA tournament.
Harvard returns to Cambridge Sunday to host Brown. As part of its last home match, the Crimson will honor its only senior, Samantha Gridley, while also inviting children ages 8-14 to the contest for the its USTA Kids Day.
1. Tachibana/Norton (H) def. Brook/Li (Y) 8-6
2. Sullivan/Epstein (Y) def. Morrill/Whelan (H) 8-2
3. Kent/Seideman (Y) def. Gridley/Jania (H) 8-2
1. Hideko Tachibana (H) def. Elizabeth Epstein (Y) 7-6 (4), 6-7 (2), 1-0 (13-11)
2. Blair Seideman (Y) def. Camille Jania (H) 6-1, 6-0
3. Hanna Yu (Y) def. Kristin Norton (H) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Vicky Brook (Y) def. Natalie Blosser (H) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Steph Kent (Y) def. Samantha Gridley (H) 6-2, 6-0
6. Annie Sullivan (Y) def. Kelly Whelan (H) 6-1, 6-3