Samantha Gridley won at No. 5 singles to help Harvard win its second Ivy League match of the season (photo Christopher M. Hill).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women's tennis team completed an undefeated weekend Saturday with a 4-3 win over Ivy League opponent Columbia. The win is the Crimson's second straight Ancient Eight victory to start the conference schedule.
Harvard dropped the doubles point, as Hideko Tachibana and Kelly Whelan was the only duo to come out on top for the Crimson. Tachibana and Whelan used a tiebreaker to beat Bianca Sanon and Tiana Takenaga, 8-7 (5).
The other two matches, featuring Kristin Norton paired with Hannah Morrill at No. 2 and Samantha Gridley and Camille Jania at No. 3, had Harvard falling 8-6.
The Crimson quickly swung the momentum by winning the first three matches to finish in singles play. Camille Jania (No. 3), Samantha Gridley (No. 5) and Hanah Morrill (No. 6) gave Harvard wins in individual contests.
With Harvard on the brink of victory, Natalie Blosser closed out Crystal Leung in the No. 4 position. The Harvard sophomore dropped the first set, 6-3, but rebounded with a 6-4 win in the second set and a 6-3 victory in the deciding set.
Harvard will resume its Ivy League slate next weekend with matches at Penn (April 14) and Princeton (April 15).
Doubles (2-1 Columbia)
1. Tachibana/Whelan (H) def. Sanon/Takenaga (C) 8-7 (5)
2. Bartnik/Alecsiu (C) def. Norton/Morrill (H) 8-6
3. Kovacevic/Leung (C) def. Gridley/Jania (H) 8-6
Singles (4-2 Harvard)
1. Nicole Bartnik (C) def. Hideko Tachibana (H) 5-7, 6-1, 6-5 (5)
2. Bianca Sanon (C) def. Kristin Norton (H) 6-3, 6-3
3. Camille Jania (H) def. Iani Alecsiu (C) 6-1, 6-2
4. Natalie Blosser (H) def. Crystal Leung (C) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Samantha Gridley (H) def. Katarina Kovacevic (C) 6-2, 6-3
6. Hannah Morrill (H) def. Tiana Takenaga (C) 6-0, 6-4