No. 36 Yale Turns Away No. 66 Harvard Women's Tennis, 6-1
Samantha Gridley (pictured) and the Crimson played a tough match, but fell to Yale Friday afternoon (Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 66 Harvard women’s tennis team put up a tough battle against No. 36 Yale Friday at the Murr Center Tennis Courts, but it was not enough, as the Bulldogs left Cambridge with a 6-1 victory.
Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton got Harvard out to a quick 1-0 lead in doubles, toppling Lindsay Clark and Annie Sullivan, 8-2, in the No. 1 doubles match. Tied at 2-2, Tachibana and Norton reeled of the next six games to give the Crimson the early edge. The Bulldogs evened the doubles score at 1-1 when Kim Sxokol and Blair Seidman took the No. 3 match, 8-4.
In the decisive No. 2 doubles match, Holly Cao and Hannah Morrill took a 6-5 lead late in the match, but Yale’s Vicky Brook and Elizabeth Epstein found their stride, winning the next three games to take the match, 8-6, and give the Bulldogs the doubles point.
In singles play, Cao earned the Crimson’s lone point, knocking off Brook, 6-3, 6-3, in the No. 1 match. Natalie Blosser and Hannah Morrill forced third sets in the No. 4 and 5 matches, respectively, but were unable to come away with match victories. Samantha Gridley also had a strong showing in the No. 6 match, but was defeated, 6-4, 6-4, by Stevi Petrelli.
The Crimson will make its final road trip of the season when it travels to Providence, R.I. to take on Brown Sunday afternoon.
Yale def. Harvard 6-1.
1. Tachibana/Norton(Harvard) def. Clark/Sullivan(Yale) 8-2
2. Brook/Epstein(Yale) def. Cao/Morrill(Harvard) 8-6
3. Szokol/Seideman(Yale) def. Rosekrans/Blosser(Harvard) 8-4
1. Cao(Harvard) def. Brook(Yale) 6-3, 6-3
2. Epstein(Yale) def. Tachibana(Harvard) 6-2, 7-6
3. Seideman(Yale) def. Norton(Harvard) 6-2, 6-0
4. Kent(Yale) def. Blosser(Harvard) 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
5. Sullivan(Yale) def. Morrill(Harvard) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
6. Petrelli(Yale) def. Gridley(Harvard) 6-4, 6-4