No. 68 Women's Tennis Defeats No. 63 Purdue, 5-2
Hannah Morrill and the Crimson knocked off No. 63 Purdue Sunday (Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 68 Harvard women's tennis team won the top four singles matches and the doubles point to earn a 5-2 victory over Purdue Sunday at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. The Crimson improves to 4-6 this spring.
The Boilermakers' Jennifer Rabot and Mara Schmidt won the No. 1 doubles match, but Samantha Gridley and Amanda Black fired back for the Crimson, winning the No. 3 doubles match, 8-6. The No. 2 doubles match was a hotly contested affair with Harvard's Holly Cao and Hannah Morrill taking a 9-7 decision from Gisella Pere and Anna Dushekina.
Cao won her eighth singles match of the season without a loss, defeating Rabot in quick fashion, 6-0, 6-3, in the No. 1 singles match. Hideko Tachibana continued the winning for Harvard, securing a 6-4, 6-4, victory over Schmidt in the No. 2 match.
Kristin Norton and Samantha Gridley each needed three sets to win their respective matches for the Crimson. Norton dropped the first set of the No. 3 singles match, but rebounded and swept the final two over Bhavani Tirumurti. Gridley split the first two sets against Dushekina in the No. 4 match and needed extra points in the third but she was able to come away with a 10-8 set win to seal the match.
The Crimson will have almost two weeks off before heading west for three matches in California.
Harvard wins 5-2
1. Rabot/Schmidt (Pur) def. Norton/Tachibana (HAR) 8-6
2. Cao/Morrill (Har) def. Pere/Dushekina (Pur) 9-7
3. Gridley/Black (Har) def. Golder/Tumaturi (Pur) 8-6
1. Cao (Har) def. Rabot (Pur) 6-0, 6-3
2. Tachibana (Har) def. Schmidt (Pur) 6-4 6-4
3. Norton (Har) def. Tumaturi (Pur) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Gridley (Har) def. Dushekina (Pur) 6-2, 4-6, 10-8
5. Golder (Pur) def. Morrill (Har) 6-3, 6-2
6. Pere (Pur) def. Lehman (Har) 7-5, 6-4