Photo of Kristin Norton courtesy of DSPics.com
PRINCETON, N.J. - The Harvard women's tennis team dropped its first Ivy League match of the season, falling 5-2 at No. 28 Princeton Friday afternoon. The singles matches were very closely contested, with three of the courts going to tiebreaker sets.
Princeton picked up the first point of the afternoon after sweeping all three doubles matches. On court one, junior Samantha Rosekrans and sophomore Holly Cao fell to No. 19 Hilary Bartlett and Taylor Marable, 8-5. The freshman duo of Kristin Norton and Hideko Tachibana fell, 8-6, on court two while Caroline Davis and Samantha Gridley lost 8-0 in the No. 3 match.
In singles action, Agnes Sibilski dropped the No. 5 match, 6-1, 6-2, and ALex Lehman fell, 6-3,6-3, on court six. Cao lost a touch match to Bartlett in the No. 1 matchup, 6-1, 6-3. On court four, Rosekrans lost the first set, 5-7, but prevailed in the second set, winning 6-2, forcing the tiebreaker set. Rosekrans captured the first point of the afternoon for the Crimson with a 10-2 win in the tiebreaker. Norton also won her second set after dropping the first, but was unable to capture the tiebreaker set, falling 11-9 in the No. 3 match. Tachibana picked up the second point of the afternoon for Harvard with a 3-6, 7-6(7), 10-0, win over Princeton's Melissa Saiontz in the No. 2 match.
Harvard returns to action tomorrow afternoon at Penn. Doubles play begins at noon.
1. (19) Bartlett/Marable (P) def. Cao/Rosenkrans (H), 8-5
2. M. Saiontz/R. Saiontz (P) def. Norton/Tachibana (H), 8-6
3. Ashley/Chow (P) def. Caroline Davis/Samantha Gridley (H), 8-0
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. (72) Hilary Bartlett (P) def. (58) Holly Cao 6-1, 6-3
2. (121) Hideko Tachibana (H) def. Melissa Saiontz (P), 3-6, 7-6(7), (10-0)
3. Rachel Saiontz (P) def. Kristin Norton (H) 4-6, 7-5, (11-9)
4. Samantha Rosenkrans (H) def. Taylor Marable (P), 5-7, 6-2, (10-2)
5. Blakely Ashley (P) def. Agnes Sibilski (H), 6-1, 6-2
6. Monica Chow (P) def. Alexandra Lehman (H), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 5,6,1,4,3,2