Harvard won four singles matches to claim the victory over St. Mary's (photo courtesy of Harvard Athletic Communications).
MORAGA, Calif. - The Harvard women's tennis
team fought to a 4-3 win over the St. Mary's Gaels Thursday
afternoon at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex. The Crimson dropped
the doubles point but captured four of the six singles matches for
Sophomore Holly Cao and junior Samantha Rosekrans picked up a win in the No. 1 doubles match with an 8-6 victory over Alex Poorta and Claire Soper. St. Mary's claimed 8-3 victories in both the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches.
In singles play, Harvard picked up wins in the No. 1, 3, 4 and 6 matches. Cao defeated Poorta, 6-1, 7-6 (6) in the No. 1 match, while Norton cruised to a 6-3, 6-2 win over Anna Chkhikvishvili in the No. 3 matchup. On court 4, Rosekrans lost her first match, 1-6, but rallied in the second set to tie the match. Rosekrans picked up the match win with a 7-6 (9) win in the third set. In the No. 6 match, Alex Lehman claimed a 2-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4 win over Molly Aloia. Freshman Hideko Tachibana fell 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 2 match to Catherine Isip and rookie Sophie Chang lost 6-0, 6-1 on court 5.
Harvard returns to the courts Saturday afternoon at Fresno State. Doubles play is slated to begin at 3 p.m. (ET)
1. Cao/Rosekrans (Harvard) def. Poorta/ Soper (St. Mary's), 8-6
2. Isip/ Chkhikvishvili (St. Mary's) def. Tachibana/Norton (Harvard) 8-3
3. Fisher/ Strigbis (St. Mary's) def. Davis/Lehman (Harvard) 8-3
1. Holly Cao (Harvard) def. Poorta (St. Mary's) 6-1, 7-6 (6)
2. Isip (St. Mary's) def. Hideko Tachibana (Harvard) 6-4, 6-2
3. Kristin Norton (Harvard) def. Chkhikvishvili (St. Mary's) 6-3, 6-2
4. Sam Rosekrans (Harvard) def. Soper (St. Mary's) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (9)
5. Spitzer (St. Mary's) def. Sophie Chang (Harvard) 6-0, 6-1
6. Alex Lehman (Harvard) def. Aloia (St. Mary's) 2-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4