Women's Tennis Falls to Purdue, 5-2
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The Harvard women's
tennis team fell to Purdue, 5-2, Saturday afternoon at the Schwartz
Tennis Center. Sophomore Holly Cao remains undefeated at the No. 1
spot as she picked up one of Harvard's two singles wins.
Purdue picked up the doubles point after winning two of the three doubles matches. Freshman Kristin Norton and sophomore Caroline Davis fell to Bhavani Tirumurti and Imogen Golder, 8-3 in the No. 3 match. Junior Samantha Rosekrans and freshman Alexandra Lehman tied the doubles sets as they picked up an 8-6 win over Anna Dushkina and Remi Martin in the No. 2 match. Purdue's Michelle Sammons and Jennifer Rabot earned the doubles point for the team as they beat Cao and freshman Hideko Tachibana, 8-5, in the No. 1 match.
In singles play, Purdue won two of the six sets to clinch the match win. Tachibana fell to Rabot, 6-1, 6-3, in the No. 2 match. Cao evened the singles score with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Sammons in the No. 1 match. In the No. 6 match, Lehman fell to Gisella Pere, 6-4, 6-4. Harvard again evened the singles score when Norton defeated Tirumurti, 6-3, 0-6, 6-2, in the No. 3 match. Purdue won the final two singles matches of the afternoon in the No. 4 and 5 positions. Dushkina defeated Rosekrans, 6-3, 5-7, 6-1, and Golder picked up a 4-6, 6-0, 6-2, win over freshman Sophie Chang.
Harvard returns to the courts tomorrow afternoon as they face No. 39 Illinois.
1. #57 Holly Cao (HAR) def. Michelle Sammons (PUR) 6-3, 6-1
2. Jennifer Rabot (PUR) def. #115 Hideko Tachibana (HAR) 6-1, 6-3
3. Kristin Norton (HAR) def. Bhavani Tirumurti (PUR) 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
4. Anna Dushkina (PUR) def. Samantha Rosekrans (HAR) 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
5. Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Sophie Chang (HAR) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Alexandra Lehman (HAR) 6-4, 6-4
1. Michelle Sammons/Jennifer Rabot (PUR) def. Holly Cao/Hideko Tachibana (HAR) 8-5
2. Samantha Rosekrans/Alexandra Lehman (HAR) def. Anna Dushkina/Remi Martin (PUR) 8-6
3. Bhavani Tirumurti/Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Kristin Norton/Caroline Davis (HAR) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles: (2,1,6,3,4,5)