HARTFORD, Conn. – The top-ranked Harvard women's squash team (13-0) finished the season undefeated, capturing the program's fifth-consecutive national championship, sweeping No. 3 Trinity, 9-0, at the Ferris Athletic Center Sunday.
First-year Hana Moataz tallied the first point of the day for Harvard, defeating Jennifer Haley, 11-8, 11-4, 11-7. Sophomore Hannah Craig quickly followed with a point of her own, besting Ashita Bhengra, 11-9, 11-9, 11-6. Junior Amelia Henley completed the first-wave sweep against Salma Alam Eldin, 5-11, 13-11, 11-9, 11-8.
First-year Amina Yousry began the second wave of action with an impressive 11-7, 11-5, 11-0 victory over Akanksha Salunkhe. Senior Sophie Mehta clinched the match for the Crimson, defeating Lakeesha Rarere, 12-10, 11-3, 11-8, to make it 5-0 Harvard. Senior Kayley Leonard commanded her way to an 11-9, 11-2, 11-3 win against Vanessa Raj.
Junior Gina Kennedy added another victory for Harvard against Min Jie Teh, 11-4, 12-10, 11-5. Junior Eleonore Evans followed by defeating Nadiia Usenko, 11-2, 11-7, 11-7. Senior Sabrina Sobhy finished things off for Harvard with a hard-fought win against Luz Sarahi Lopez Dominguez, 6-11, 11-3, 11-3, 11-8.
- The Crimson finish the season in perfection and extended its unbeaten streak to 65-consecutive matches, dating back to the 2014-15 season (Jan. 12).
- The team adds the program's 20th Howe Cup in program history, including the fifth-consecutive.
- Harvard blanks Trinity for the second time this season and extends its all-time program record to 42-12 over the school.
- The team finishes its season without relinquishing a team point, winning all 117 individual matches they have played.
- Ivy League Coach of the Year and Gregory Lee '87 and Russell Ball '88 Endowed Coach for Harvard University Mike Way adds his seventh Howe Cup as the team's head coach.
The women will continue to train in preparation for the team's individual championship, which will begin on Friday, March 1, in Providence, Rhode Island.
Harvard def. Trinity, 9-0
Sabrina Sobhy def. Luz Sarahi Lopez Dominguez, 6-11, 11-3, 11-3, 11-8
Gina Kennedy def. Min Jie Teh, 11-4, 12-10, 11-5
Amelia Henley def. Salma Alam Eldin, 5-11, 13-11, 11-9, 11-8
Kayley Leonard def. Vanessa Raj, 11-9, 11-2, 11-3
Amina Yousry def. Akanksha Salunkhe, 11-7, 11-5, 11-0
Hana Moataz def. Jennifer Haley, 11-8, 11-4, 11-7
Eleonore Evans def. Nadiia Usenko, 11-2, 11-7, 11-7
Sophie Mehta def. Lakeesha Rarere, 12-10, 11-3, 11-8
Hannah Craig def. Ashita Bhengra, 11-9, 11-9, 11-6