NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The No. 1 Harvard women's squash team defeated No. 5 Yale, 9-0, to claim a share of the 2018 Ivy League title. The Crimson (11-0, 6-0 Ivy) swept seven matches at the Brady Squash Center subdue the Bulldogs (9-4, 4-2 Ivy) for its third straight Ancient Eight crown.
Harvard's third-consecutive Ivy League championship is its fourth in five years and fifth title in seven years. The Crimson now have six three-peats: four times from 1992-97, 2001-03, and 2016-18. This is Harvard's 22nd Ivy League Championship.
The Crimson has swept the last four matches against Yale. With the clean slate, the Crimson lineup now features seven student-athletes with 10 or more wins: Eleonore Evans (11-0), Amelia Henley (11-0), Gina Kennedy (11-0), Kayley Leonard (11-0), Sophie Mehta (11-0), Hannah Craig (10-0), and captain Alyssa Mehta (10-0).
For the first time in her career, Sabrina Sobhy played at a spot other than No. 1. The junior handled Helen Teegan in straight games, 11-5, 11-6, 11-9, returning to her winning ways after a tough outing last weekend. Kennedy competed at No. 1 for the third time this season. Kennedy picked up the win over Lucy Beecroft, 11-9, 9-11, 11-6, 11-7.
Harvard will conclude its regular season on Sunday, Feb. 11 at home against No. 10 Brown. Should the Crimson beat the Bears (5-8, 0-6 Ivy), it will claim the Ivy League title outright.
1. Gina Kennedy (H) def. Lucy Beecroft, 3-1
2. Sabrina Sobhy (H), def. Helen Teegan, 3-0
3. Kayley Leonard (H) def. Celine Yeap, 3-0
4. Alyssa Mehta (H) def. Aishwarya Battacharya, 3-0
5. Amelia Henley (H) def. Jocelyn Lehman, 3-0
6. Sue Ann Yong (H) def. Selena Maity, 3-0
7. Eleonore Evans (H) def. Riya Mital, 3-1
8. Sophie Mehta (H) def. Jennifer Davis, 3-0
9. Hannah Craig (H) def. Emily Sherwood, 3-0