CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard wrestling (0-3, 0-0 EIWA) opens EIWA action on the road in central Pennsylvania against Franklin & Marshall (3-1, 0-0 EIWA) and Bucknell (2-3, 0-0 EIWA). The Crimson will face the Diplomats on Friday, Jan. 17 at 8 p.m. in Lancaster, Pa. before traveling north to Lewisburg, Pa. the following day, Saturday, Jan. 18, to take on the Bison at 2 p.m.
What to Know
- Harvard began its dual season last Saturday with three matches in Arizona – two against top-ranked opponents No. 6 Arizona State and No. 8 Iowa State.
- First-year Yaraslau Slavikouski (285) climbed to No. 10 in the latest Intermat rankings with a 2-1 performance in Arizona.
- Slavikouski earned a pair of victories against the No. 9 and No. 15 ranked wrestlers in the nation to improve to 16-8 on the season.
- Fellow first-year No. 16 Philip Conigliaro (165) went 1-2 in the desert with a 4-2 decision and leads the Crimson with a 19-6 overall mark.
- First-year Michael Jaffe also picked up a win over a nationally-ranked opponent, defeating No. 17 Joshua Kramer from Arizona State by a 9-5 decision in his first match last Saturday.
- The Crimson first-years have 53 of Harvard's 87 match wins in 2019-2020.
At The Helm
Jay Weiss, The David G. Bunning '88 Head Coach for Harvard Wrestling, is in his 26th season at the helm of the program. The two-time EIWA Coach of the Year has a long history of coaching excellence on the mat and in classroom. Weiss has coached a pair of national champions, 17 EIWA champions and 19 All-Americans, while guiding his squad to the nation's top GPA in five of the last seven years.
Harvard returns to the mats next weekend, Saturday, Jan. 25, with a pair of EIWA duals in upstate New York against No. 20 Cornell (1 p.m.) and Binghamton (6 p.m.).