Dartmouth, No. 3/4 Harvard Women's Hockey Skate to 2-2 Tie on FCS Atlantic

Dartmouth, No. 3/4 Harvard Women's Hockey Skate to 2-2 Tie on FCS Atlantic

Dempsey is now one point away from cracking the top 10 in career points at Harvard (photo Gil Talbot).

 Jillian Dempsey and Kalley Armstrong each picked up two points, but it was not enough to push the No. 3/4 Harvard women's hockey team past Dartmouth Friday night as the teams skated to a 2-2 tie. Dempsey and Armstrong helped the Crimson build a 2-1 lead with goals in the first six minutes of the game that was aired nationally on Fox College Sports Atlantic, before Dartmouth tied the score in the second.

Harvard outshot the Big Green, 43-26, including 14-4 during the third period. Dartmouth's Lindsay Holdcroft stopped 41 Harvard shots, while Laura Bellamy made 24 saves for the Crimson.

Harvard took an early advantage over Dartmouth, as the Crimson needed just 2:07 to get on the board. Dempsey found Armstrong in front and the junior converted, but the Big Green answered quickly. Dartmouth evened the game, 1-1, at the 5:10 mark when Lindsey Allen fired the puck at Bellamy. The strike hit Bellamy's pad, but continued to trickle past the netminder and across the line.

Harvard let the 1-1 tie last only 44 seconds, grabbing a new lead by virtue of a Dempsey tally. Armstrong found Lyndsey Fry streaking outside the right side of the crease, and the junior sent a perfect backhand pass to Dempsey. The Winthrop, Mass., native finished the strike as Dartmouth's goalie hugged the right post and vacated the left side of the goal to give Dempsey nearly an open net to aim for.

Both teams had a number of good looks in the first period, including a Lyndsey Fry attempt that hit two posts while it was still 1-0. Harvard left the frame with a 13-12 advantage in shots on net, but committed three penalties. 

The third Crimson penalty of the first period proved costly, as Dartmouth opened up the middle stanza with 1:45 of 5-on-4 play. The Big Green circled the puck around the zone before Laura Stacey received it near the right faceoff dot. Stacey hesitated as a Harvard defender slid by and buried a top-shelf wrister over Bellamy's stick-hand shoulder.

Harvard cleaned up its play the remainder of the game, committing just one penalty after being burned attempting a kill, including no infractions during the last 32+ minutes.

The Crimson dominated the pace during the second period and continued to own the puck for much of the third period, but to no avail. Dartmouth's Holdcroft faced 25 shots in the second and third frames and stopped each Crimson effort. Bellamy was equally as good in the last half of the game, making save after save, although she need only eight blocks to keep Dartmouth from pulling ahead.

Five different Harvard players put shots on Holdcroft in the overtime, but once again the Big Green goalie was there to deny the Crimson. The best look of the period came with 26 seconds left and a scramble in front of the net. Sarah Edney sent the puck to the net and it rebounded to Dempsey who gave a second effort towards Holdcroft who was falling back to her own goal. The play was whistled dead, as the puck was covered, before the Dartmouth goalie continued to tip, eventually slipping into the net. The officials reviewed the play, but it was ruled correctly on the ice and the score remained tied for the final seconds.

The Beanpot, hosted at Northeastern, is up next for the Crimson. Harvard will take to the ice Tuesday night at 5 p.m. against No. 2 Boston College.

Game Notes
This was the second time Harvard has played on FCS Atlantic and each game has ended in a 2-2 tie (at UNH, 12/8/12) … Tonight marks the first time Harvard has played back-to-back overtime games since the final two contests of last season … Katey Stone, The Landry Family Head Coach for Harvard Women's Ice Hockey, remains five wins from 400 for her career.