CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Behind four Crimson players scoring double-digits, the Harvard women's basketball team (16-11, 9-5 Ivy League) pushed past Columbia (8-19, 4-19 Ivy League), 69-56, in its final home game of the season at Lavietes Pavilion today, March 9. The Crimson concluded the regular season with a 9-5 conference mark and will now prepare for the 2019 Ivy League Tournament.
Four Crimson players registered double-digit points tonight, led by senior co-captain Sydney Skinner with 17. Katie Benzan (16), Madeline Raster (14) and Nani Redford (10) followed closely behind all in double figures. Senior guard Raster recorded a team-high 11 boards to lead Harvard on defense, while Benzan snagged three steals to help keep Columbia at a distance in the senior night tilt.
The teams began the game trading baskets, before the Crimson pulled away on a 4-0 run to take an early 13-6 lead. Harvard extended its run as Madeline Raster and Katie Benzan hit back-to-back triples to widen the spread to 13, while Sydney Skinner closed out the first quarter with six-straight points to put the Crimson up, 28-9.
Skinner and Benzan sank two consecutive triples at the start of the second quarter to push our advantage to 22. Back-and-forth action ensued throughout the remainder of the frame, but the Crimson defense held the Lions at bay as Harvard never led by less than 20 and took a 40-21 lead into halftime.
Balanced scoring led by Raster with five points increased the Crimson's lead to 20 through a defensive third quarter. Columbia came out of the gates on a 3-0 run to begin the final frame, cutting its deficit to 12 at 52-40. Benzan halted the Lions' offensive pressure, dropping in five quick points for the Crimson. The Lions put in four more unanswered baskets to come within five midway through the frame, before Harvard went on a 6-1 run of its own to push its lead back into double figures. A pair of late free throws from Skinner and Matilda Salen sealed the victory for the Crimson at 69-56.
- Four Crimson players scored in double figures tonight, including Katie Benzan (16), Sydney Skinner (17), Madeline Raster (14) and Nani Redford (10).
- Madeline Raster posted her second double-double of the season with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
- Boehm tallied two steals tonight, while also recording six rebounds.
- The Crimson only trailed for just over one minute for the duration of the game.
- Harvard improves to 64-3 in its all-time series with Columbia.
- The Crimson concluded its season at Lavietes Pavilion with an 8-4 record.
Harvard will prepare for the 2019 Ivy League Tournament, hosted by Yale, March 16-17.