KINGSTON, R.I. – Opening its final weekend of non-conference action this afternoon, the Harvard women's basketball team ran past Rhode Island, 80-47, at the Ryan Center. The Crimson improves to 6-6 overall, while the Rams drop to 5-7.
Junior Jeannie Boehm posted her first double-double of the season, tallying 14 points and 13 rebounds to lead Harvard on both ends of the court. Four other Crimson attackers recorded double-digit points, including Katie Benzan (13), Madeline Raster (12), Rachel Levy (10) and Sydney Skinner (10). The Crimson defense held the Rams to 17-for-60 shooting from the field and 6-for-25 from three-point range.
Harvard sprinted to an early 12-3 lead in the first quarter off back-to-back buckets from Boehm and pair of triples from Raster to open the game. Holding Rhode Island to 2-for-15 shooting from the field and outrebounding the Rams 17-9, strong defensive play took Harvard into the second quarter with a 25-6 advantage. Balanced scoring across the board, combined with holding the Rams to just one basket throughout quarter two, pushed the Crimson's spread to 37 as Harvard went into halftime leading 46-9.
Harvard continued to smother the Ram's attack in quarter three, allowing just 16 points. Led by Skinner with five points, the Crimson took a 64-25 lead into the final frame. Harvard continued to control play in the fourth quarter, sealing the victory at 80-47.
- The Crimson outrebounded the Rams 34-18 in the first half, holding the Rams to just nine points.
- Five players scored double-digit points, led by Boehm with 14.
- Boehm recorded her first double-double of the season, tallying 14 points and 13 rebounds.
- The Crimson improves to 9-8 in its all-time series against the Rams.
- Harvard held Rhode Island to 17-for-60 shooting (28 percent) from the field.
Harvard will conclude the 2018 calendar year in its final contest at California this Sunday, Dec. 30 at 5 p.m. EST.