CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The Harvard women's basketball team will open its 2018-19 slate this weekend on the road, as it is set to travel to Notre Dame and Purdue, Nov. 9 and 11. Tip-off against the Fighting Irish on Friday is scheduled for 4 p.m., while Sunday's tilt with the Boilermakers will begin at 2 p.m.
What to Know
- The Crimson went 18-11 overall last season, earning a selection to the WNIT Tournament. The appearance marked the eighth appearance over the last 10 years in the tournament for the Crimson and the program's 14th postseason appearance, the most of any Ivy League team.
- Harvard returns four of its top five leading scorers from a year ago, including senior co-captains Madeline Raster and Sydney Skinner.
- The Crimson was selected third in the Ivy League Preseason Media Poll. Harvard has finished in the top three of the Ivy League standings every year since the 2006-07 campaign. Earning 104 votes in the preseason poll, the Crimson narrowly trailed Penn who was picked second with 107 and Princeton who received 133 votes in first.
- Harvard is 20-24 all-time in season openers and 17-19 under head coach Kathy Delaney-Smith.
- The Crimson and Boilermakers will meet for the first time in program history this weekend, while the Fighting Irish holds a 1-0 advantage over Harvard in its all-time series.
Leading the Way
Head coach Kathy Delaney-Smith returns for her 37th season at the helm of the program after leading the Crimson to its third-straight, and eighth in the last 10 years, WNIT appearance last season. The winningest coach in Ivy League basketball history with 585 career victories, head coach Kathy Delaney-Smith passed former Princeton head coach Pete Carril (514) for most wins by an Ancient Eight coach on either the men's or women's side during the 2013-14 season.
Harvard will host LaSalle on Wednesday, Nov. 14 in its home opener at Lavieties Pavilion. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on ESPN+.