LORETTO, Pa. – Despite a slow start, dropping the first set 25-17, Harvard men's volleyball battled back and won three straight, 25-20, 25-19 and 26-24, to beat EIVA-foe Saint Francis (Pa.), 3-1.
Harvard was led by juniors Erik Johnsson and Matthew Ctvrtlik, who each registered double-doubles on the night. Johnsson led the team in both kills (17) and digs (13) while Ctvrtlik led the team with 42 assists to go along with 12 digs of his own. Johnsson's 17 kills is a new career-high while he also tied his career-high in digs.
First-year Eric Li had double-digit kills for the fifth-straight game, recording 11 in the match. Senior Trevor Dow and sophomore Griffin Schmit each had eight kills as well. Schmit and Li also neared a double-double as he recorded 11 and seven digs, respectively. Dow finished the match hitting 8-1-13 for a team-high .538 hitting percentage and led the team with four total blocks.
First-year Jason Shen had nine digs tonight. Johnsson had the only solo block of the night.
- Erik Johnsson set a new career-high in kills, recording 17 on the night as well as tying his career-high in digs with 13.
- With his 32 assists tonight, Matthew Ctvrtlik now has 40 or more assists in three of his last four matches. He is now third in the EIVA with 297 assists on the season and is averaging 8.25 assists per set.
- Both Johnsson and Ctvrtlik had double-doubles. It was Ctvrtlik's second of the season and 10th of his career while it was Johnsson's first of the season and second of his career.
- Trevor Dow led the Crimson with a .538 hitting percentage, hitting home eight kills.
- Harvard had four student-athletes record double-digit kills while also having four with eight or more kills.
- Three Crimson student-athletes had double-digit digs.
- Harvard outhit Saint Francis (PA) .283 to .188 and had three more kills, 50-47.
Harvard is back at home for a pair of matches on Friday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. against Princeton and Saturday, Feb. 23 at 5 p.m. against NJIT. Both matches will be streamed live on ESPN+.