CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard men's volleyball fell to UC San Diego, 3-1, on Saturday night at the Malkin Athletic Center. The sets ended 19-25, 25-23, 27-25, 25-23.
The Crimson was led by juniors Matthew Ctvrtlik and Erik Johnsson throughout the match. Ctvrtlik registered his ninth-career double-double when he had 30 assists and a career-high 15 digs. Johnsson hit a team-high 14 kills to go along with an season-high eight digs.
Harvard continues to show its strong defense, outblocking UC San Diego 12.5-7. Trevor Dow blocked six total UCSD attacks while four student-athletes had multiple blocks. First-year Ryan Hong had a game-high two solo blocks.
First-year Jason Shen tallied 11 digs during the match.
- Matthew Ctvrtlik has had a double-double in back-to-back matches including the exhibition against Laval on Thursday.
- Erik Johnsson recorded a season-high 14 kills on his 38 total attacks as well as a season-high eight digs.
- Ctvrtlik has had 30 or more assists in all but one match this year and is averaging 6.94 per set.
- Trevor Dow is now tied for the most total blocks (19) in the EIVA and is third in blocks per set (1.12).
- With his two solo blocks tonight, Ryan Hong is tied for the most solo blocks in the EIVA this year (4).
- Harvard moves to 0-1 all-time against UC San Diego.
- The Crimson outblocked UCSD 12.5-7.
The Crimson is back on the road for a matchup against Sacred Heart on Thursday, Jan. 24 beginning at 6 p.m.