SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Harvard men's volleyball team (1-6, 1-0 EIVA) fell in four sets Saturday evening, Feb. 10 to Stevenson in its final day at the Morgan Classic. The loss came by set scores of 21-25, 22-25, 25-22 and 21-25. The Crimson moves to 1-6 on the season.
Senior co-captain duo Jack Heavey and Riley Moore dominated on attack for the Crimson for the second night in a row. Each notching 10 kills, Moore recorded a .600 hitting percentage, his third straight match above .500. Marko Kostich recorded a season-high 40 assists, while Chase Howard led the way in digs at 17.
- Stevenson got off to a fast start to take a 7-3 lead despite kills from Trevor Dow and Moore
- Harvard responded with a 4-1 run with back-to-back kills by Moore and one by Erik Johnsson to bring the Crimson within one at 8-7
- The Mustangs began to pull away, grabbing a 19-14 lead even though Kostich notched three kills
- The Crimson made one last push with a 4-2 run that featured a kill and service ace by Dow, but fell 25-21 in the first set
- The Crimson charged to a 9-6 lead to start the set
- The Mustangs chipped back to put itself within one at 12-11
- The set would go on to tie three times at 19-19, before Stevenson went on a 3-0 run to take a 22-19 lead
- Although Dow and Moore added two kills late in the set, the Mustangs took this one 25-22
- Stevenson came out firing in set three, securing a 4-1 lead off three kills and an attacking error
- Harvard responded right away taking the next four straight points and the lead at 5-4 off back-to-back kills by Moore
- The teams traded points, tying the score six times, now at 17-17
- Johnsson helped seal the set for Harvard with two kills of his own as Harvard tallied five straight points to win 25-22
- Despite a 6-2 lead for the Mustangs out of the gates, the Crimson rallied right back registering five straight points off of three Heavey kills to take a 7-6 lead
- The teams went back and forth tying the score seven times throughout the middle of the set
- Moore responded to a 3-0 run by Stevenson with a kill assisted by Kostich to bring the Crimson within two at 20-18
- Stevenson would go on to seal the match at 25-21
The Crimson will face Saint Francis (Pa.) on the road next Friday, Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. in its second EIVA match up of the season.