CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The Harvard men's tennis team defeated Minnesota 6-1 to sweep the Crimson Kick-Off. The Crimson fell behind in the match after losing the doubles point, but rallied back to win all six singles matches.
Four members of the Crimson won their matches in straight-sets. First-year Henry von der Schulenburg was the first to complete his match, handedly defeating Sim Troost, 6-1, 6-0. He was followed by Brian Shi, who defeated Vlad Lobak, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 2 position. Ronan Jachuck took the win at the No. 1 spot, defeating No. 33 Stefan Milicevic, 6-4, 6-2. With the Crimson up 3-1, sophomore Steven Sun clinched the Crimson victory for the second match in a row with 6-3, 7-6 victory over Bodin Zarkovic.
"While the final scores was 6-1, the match was hotly contested with great energy from both teams," remarked the Scott Mead '77 Head Coach for Harvard Men's Tennis Andrew Rueb. "Minnesota played extremely high-level doubles and showed us a few things we need to improve on. But our team went into singles with great focus and didn't waiver in their confidence. This team has real fight and they are not afraid of a challenge. They battled from 1-6 in the line-up with everyone pulling together. They all deserve a game ball for their performance."
Regarding the atmosphere of the Murr Center, Rueb commented, "Thanks to all our fans for coming out and supporting the Crimson. The atmosphere was electric and it was a pleasure to compete in front of a packed house."
- von der Schulenburg only dropped one game in the match.
- The Crimson's victories have all been clinched by either the No. 3 or No. 6 spot so far this season.
- Jachuck and von der Schulenburg remain undefeated, moving to 4-0 on the season.
Harvard will continue play at home with matches against Rice and Bryant on Sunday, Feb. 2 at 1:30 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively. Both matches will be played at the Murr Center Tennis Courts and be broadcast on ESPN3.
1. Ronan Jachuck def. No. 33 Stefan Milicevic, 6-4, 6-2
2. Brian Shi def. Vlad Lobak, 6-1, 6-2
3. Henry von der Schulenburg def. Sim Troost, 6-1, 6-0
4. Harris Walker def. Jackson Allen, 7-6, 4-6, 10-0
5. Robert Wrzesinski def. Eli Ogilvy, 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
6. Steven Sun def. Bodin Zarkovic, 6-3, 7-6
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 6*, 5, 4
1. Lobak/Troost def. Jachuck/Shi, 5-5 DNF
2. Allen/Ogilvy def. Sun/Walker, 6-3
3. Milicevic/Zarkovic def. Wrzesinski/von der Schulenburg, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2