SAN DIEGO—The No. 38 Harvard men's tennis team's West Coast road trip was cut short today, falling 4-2 to No. 49 Tulane in the semifinals of the San Diego Spring Classic. The Crimson drops to a 10-5 (0-0 Ivy) record on the season.
Taking the doubles advantage early on, the Green Wave picked up a win on court one to put them up 1-0 over the Crimson. Doubles duo Steven Sun and Harris Walker brought the Crimson back into contention for the doubles point, taking down Tulane's No. 3 doubles pair by a 6-4 margin. However, the Green Wave was able to hold off a comeback effort from Robert Wrzesinski and Brian Shi on court two to clinch the doubles point to give it the 1-0 lead.
Moving into singles, Tulane extended its lead to 2-0 with a quick victory over the Crimson on court five. Big wins from Harris Walker and Robert Wrzesinski on courts four and one locked both teams up at 2-2, but the Green Wave hit its stride and secured two late-match victories to hold of the Crimson.
-Steven Sun and Harris Walker earned the Crimson's sole doubles victory, taking down Tulane's No. 3 doubles pair, 6-4.
-Harris Walker sliced the Green Wave's lead in half with a straight-sets win on court four, fighting through a first set tiebreaker to bring down Tyler Schick, 7-6(4), 6-1.
The Crimson returns to Cambridge to host a doubleheader against Boston College and Quinnipiac next Sunday, March 31, at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively.
1. Robert Wrzesinski def. #64 Ewan Moore, 3-6, 6-1, 2-1, retired
2. Hamish Stewart vs. Andy Zhou, DNF
3. #96 Luis Erlenbusch def. Brian Shi, 6-4, 6-3
4. Harris Walker def. Tyler Schick, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
5. Dane Esses def. Steven Sun, 6-4, 6-4
6. Akos Kotorman def. Lane Leschly, 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 4, 1, 3, 6*
1. Ewan Moore/Tyler Schick (TLN) def. #33 Andy Zhou/Logan Weber (HARV) 6-3
2. Akos Kotorman/Hamish Stewart (TLN) def. Robert Wrzesinski/Brian Shi (HARV) 7-5
3. Steven Sun/Harris Walker (HARV) def. Luis Erlenbusch/Dane Esses (TLN) 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2