SAN DIEGO—The No. 38 Harvard men's tennis team opened the San Diego Spring Classic with a 4-1 victory over co-host San Diego State. With the win, the Crimson improves to 10-4 (0-0 Ivy) and advances to the semifinal round to take on No. 49 Tulane at 3 p.m EST (12 p.m. PST).
Harvard struck first against the Aztecs, securing the doubles point to take an early 1-0 advantage. Steven Sun and Harris Walker took the first win, downing San Diego State's No. 3 doubles team in a quick 6-1 decision. The Aztecs bounced back to level the score, taking the No. 2 spot over Brian Shi and Robert Wrzesinski. A strong performance on court one by No. 20 doubles duo Andy Zhou and Logan Weber ultimately clinched the doubles point for Harvard and sent the match into singles.
After dropping the first set, first-year Steven Sun bounced back with 6-0, 6-2 victories to earn Harvard its second point of the day on court five. Fellow first-year Brian Shi added to the Crimson's lead, picking up a quick straight-sets victory in the third spot to move the Crimson to a 3-0 margin over San Diego State. Hoping to cut down Harvard's advantage, the Aztecs fought back to earn a point off a three-set battle on court four to make it 3-1, but senior Andy Zhou successfully won consecutive tiebreak sets to clinch the match for the Crimson on court two.
-First-year Steven Sun remains undefeated in singles, moving to 13-0 this spring.
-No. 20 doubles pair Andy Zhou and Logan Weber improve to 9-4 in doubles for the Crimson.
-Tomorrow's meeting with Tulane marks the first time both teams have met on the court since 2004, when the Crimson took down the Green Wave, 4-2.
Harvard moves on to the semifinals of the San Diego Spring Classic, taking on No. 49 Tulane at the Aztec Tennis Center at 3 p.m. EST (12 p.m. PST).
1. Robert Wrzesinski vs. Sander Gjoels-Andersen, DNF
2. Andy Zhou def. Fabian Roensdorf, 7-6(3), 7-6(3)
3. Brian Shi def. Ignacio Martinez, 6-4, 7-5
4. Jan Kirchhoff def. Harris Walker, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
5. Steven Sun def. Arnaud Restifo, 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Lane Leschly vs. David Hough, DNF
Order of finish: 5, 3, 4, 2*
1. No. 20 Andy Zhou/Logan Weber def. Sander Gjoels-Andersen/Rafael Gonzalez, 6-3
2. Jan Kirchhoff/Ignacio Martinez def. Brian Shi/Robert Wrzesinski, 6-2
3. Steven Sun/Harris Walker def. Fabian Roensdorf/Arnaud Restifo, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1