PHILADELPHIA—The Harvard men's tennis team opened the 2019 ECAC Championships with a 4-2 victory over Brown in the first round of play. With today's victory, the Crimson improves to 5-3 (0-0 Ivy) on the season.
Dropping the doubles point, the sixth-seeded Bears took the early 1-0 lead over Harvard. Brown was first to strike, picking up a 6-2 victory in the No. 3 slot over Christopher Morrow and Lane Leschly. Robert Wrzesinski and Brian Shi quickly shut down the Bears' advantage with a fast 6-3 win. Brown ultimately sealed the doubles point after a hard-fought tiebreaker battle on court 1, narrowly edging out No. 53 Logan Weber and Andy Zhou, 7-6(12).
Heading into singles, the Crimson made quick work of the Bears, capturing two back-to-back victories to give Harvard the 2-1 lead. Steven Sun was first to strike, taking down Brown's No. 5 player 6-3, 6-4. Fellow first-year Brian Shi then followed up with a fast 6-3, 6-2 win in the No. 3 position. Although Brown bounced back to even the score yet again, Harris Walker pushed through a first set tiebreak to win on court three before No. 71 Robert Wrzesinski clinched the match on court 2, 7-6(7), 6-2.
-With today's victory over Brown, Harvard improves to 82-7 in the all-time series with Brown.
-First-year Steven Sun continued his undefeated streak, picking up a 6-3, 6-4 victory in No. 5 spot today over Brown.
Harvard returns to action tomorrow for Day 2 of the ECAC tournament. The team will face the winner of No. 2 Princeton vs. No. 7 Yale at 3 p.m.
1. Peter Litsky def. Andy Zhou, 6-1, 7-5
2. Robert Wrzesinski def. Ching Lam, 7-6(7), 6-2
3. Brian Shi def. Roger Chou, 6-3, 6-2
4. Harris Walker def. Jacob Walker, 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Steven Sun def. Charles Tan, 6-3, 6-4
6. Robert Siniakowicz vs. Constantin Zoske, DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1, 4, 2*
1. Roger Chou/Charles Tan def. Andy Zhou/Logan Weber, 7-6(12)
2. Robert Wrzesinski/Brian Shi def. Ching Lam/Jacob Walker, 6-3
3. Peter Litsky/Ben Collier def. Christopher Morrow/Lane Leschly, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1