EVANSTON, Ill.—Despite a strong late-match push, the Harvard men's tennis team came up short against Northwestern, falling 4-3 to the Wildcats on the road. The Crimson drops to 4-3 (0-0 Ivy) on the season.
"Northwestern brought their best against us on Saturday, making for a great weekend of competition," said the Scott Mead '77 Head Coach for Harvard Men's Tennis Andrew Rueb. "The Wildcats got the crucial doubles point and were able to split the singles in a yet another 4-3 match."
Northwestern jumped out to an early advantage over Harvard, clinching the doubles points with victories on courts one and three to start the day. The Wildcats took their first victory in the No. 3 spot, defeating Christopher Morrow and Lucas Koelle, 6-3. While Robert Wrzesinski and Brian Shi battled for a potential tying point on court 2, Northwestern secured the point with a close 6-4 victory over No. 53 Andy Zhou and Logan Weber.
Harris Walker picked up a singles victory over Northwestern to get Harvard on the board, taking the No. 4 spot, 5-7, 6-4, 10-8. But, despite late victories from Steven Sun and Brian Shi on courts six and three, Northwestern's early singles success ultimately edged them past the Crimson.
-Harris Walker continues finding success in singles, extending his undefeated streak to four consecutive matches.
-Steven Sun stays untouched this season, adding a 6-4, 6-7, 10-7 win over Northwestern today.
Harvard caps of its weekend road trip at Western Michigan tomorrow, Feb. 10, at 1 p.m. (12 p.m. CST).
1. Dominik Stary def. Andy Zhou, 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Nick Brookes def. Robert Wrzesinski, 6-4, 6-2
3. Brian Shi def. Antonioni Fasano, 6-3, 6-7, 10-8
4. Harris Walker def. Chris Ephron, 5-7, 6-4, 10-8
5. Simen Bratholm def. Lucas Koelle, 6-3, 6-2
6. Steven Sun def. Trice Pickens, 6-4, 6-7, 10-7
Order of Finish: 5,2,1,4,6,3
1. Simen Bratholm/Nick Brookes def. Andy Zhou/Logan Weber, 6-4
2. Chris Ephron/Dominik Stary def. Brian Shi/Robert Wrzesinski, DNF
3. Antonioni Fasano/Trice Pickens def. Christopher Morrow/Lucas Koelle, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1