LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Advancing to the NCAA Tournament for the 25th time in program history as a team, the No. 31 Harvard men's tennis team upset No. 17 Oklahoma State today, defeating the Cowboys 4-2. The Crimson will move on to face the winner of USC vs. UC Santa Barbara in the second round of the tournament tomorrow, May 13 at 4 p.m. EST.
Harvard continued its dominant doubles play into the postseason, securing the point for an early 1-0 advantage in the match. The Crimson's No. 1 doubles tandem Kenny Tao and Logan Weber sustained their stellar play together, picking up a 6-3 win over the Cowboy's 83rd-ranked Dubinski and Theodorou. Jean Thirouin and Robert Wrzesinski preserved their unbeaten record as a doubles duo for their seventh straight win, taking down Oklahoma State's No. 2 spot, 6-3, and clinching the point.
The Cowboys came out of the gates with two straight wins on courts two and six to take a 2-1 lead to start singles play. The Crimson answered back with the next three straight points as senior co-captain Thirouin evened the score at two apiece with a 6-3, 6-3 straight sets win over OSU's Jurence Mendoza in the No. 3 spot. Senior Grant Solomon then battled the Cowboy's Eleftherios Theodorou on court five to a three-set win. Splitting the first two sets, Solomon secured a 3-1 lead for the Crimson with a 6-2 victory in his third set.
Senior co-caption Kenny Tao earned his 14th singles win of the season with a three-set victory over 94th-ranked Artur Dubinski. After falling 5-7 in his first set, Tao shut out Dubinski 6-0 in the second set and controlled set three for a match-clinching 6-3 victory.
"What a performance by the entire team today," stated associate head coach Andrew Rueb. "The seniors were unstoppable notching all three singles victories. Congrats to Kenny, Jean and Grant. To beat the No.17 team in the country it took one of our best performances of the year."
Harvard will advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament tomorrow, May 13 at 4 p.m. EST, facing the winner of USC vs. UC Santa Barbara.
1. Tao/Weber (HU) def. #83 Dubinski/Theodorou (OSU) – 6-3
2. Thirouin/Wrzesinski (HU) def. Hammond/Mendoza (OSU) – 6-3
3. Solomon/Morrow (HU) vs. Draheim/Scaglia (OSU) – 5-3, DNF
1. Kenny Tao (HU) def. #94 Artur Dubinski (OSU) – 5-7, 6-0, 6-3*
2. Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) def. Andy Zhou (HU) – 6-2, 6-2
3. Jean Thirouin (HU) def. Jurence Mendoza (OSU) – 6-3, 6-3
4. Robert Wrzesinski (HU) vs. Tristan Meraut (OSU) -1-6, 6-4, 5-4, DNF
5. Grant Solomon (HU) def. Eleftherios Theodorou (OSU) – 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. Brady Draheim (OSU) def. Andrew Ball (HU) – 7-5, 6-0