CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Falling for the first time on home court this season, the No. 30 Harvard men's tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to Ivy League opponent Princeton today, April 21, at the Beren Tennis Center. Evening its conference record at 3-3, a string of crucial points down the stretch proved to be the deciding factor as the Tigers handed the Crimson only it's sixth loss of the season.
Harvard dropped just its sixth doubles point of the season after falling on courts one and two. Jean Thirouin and Robert Wrzesinski secured a 6-1 win in the No. 3 spot to start doubles play, but the Crimson were unable to edge Princeton as the Tigers grabbed the first point of the day.
Kenny Tao quickly provided the equalizer for Harvard in singles action, as the senior co-captain claimed a 6-1, 6-3 win in the No. 1 spot over Kial Kaiser. The Crimson's other senior co-captain Jean Thirouin then battled to a 7-5, 7-5 victory on court three to double Harvard's advantage and provide the first lead of the day at 2-1. Giving Harvard three straight points and a 3-1 lead, freshman Robert Wrzesinski picked up a straight sets 6-3, 6-4 win in the No. 4 spot.
Princeton would go on to take the next three singles matches, two of which included three-set battles, including the match-clinching set on court six.
Harvard will close out its regular season hosting Penn tomorrow, April 22 at 1 p.m. at Beren Tennis Center.
1. Gamble/Rodriguez (Princeton) def. #85 Kenny Tao/Logan Weber (Harvard), 6-3
2. Holden/Seggerman (Princeton) def. Christopher Morrow/Grant Solomon (Harvard), 6-1
3. Jean Thirouin/Robert Wrzesinski (Harvard) def. Ben Tso/Diego Vives (Princeton) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1*
1. Kenny Tao (Harvard) def. Kial Kaiser (Princeton), 6-1, 6-3
2. Luke Gamble (Princeton) def. Andy Zhou (Harvard), 6-1, 6-3
3. Jean Thirouin (Harvard) def. Ryan Seggerman (Princeton), 7-5, 7-5
4. Robert Wrzesinski (Harvard) def. Damian Rodriguez (Princeton), 6-3, 6-4
5. Davey Roberts (Princeton) def. Grant Solomon (Harvard), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Payton Holden (Princeton) def. Andrew Ball (Harvard), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 5, 6*