(Photo courtesy of Tom Stuart)
ITHACA, N.Y. – Despite a late match rally, the No. 29 men's tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss in a hard-fought battle against Cornell today, April 15, at the Reis Tennis Center. The Crimson dipped to 3-2 in conference play and a 19-5 overall mark, while the Big Red improved to 1-3 in Ivy play.
Doubles play was a battle as Harvard dropped the point for only the fifth time this season, giving Cornell an early 1-0 advantage. Christopher Morrow and Grant Solomon prevailed in a tiebreaker on court two to edge out Joseph McAllister and David Volfson, 7-6, and split the doubles competition after the Big Red struck first in the No. 3 spot. With the deciding point sitting on court one, Cornell was able to clinch the lead with a 7-6 tiebreak win.
The Big Red then doubled its advantage at the start of singles play, claiming a 6-2, 6-3 victory in the No. 3 spot. Cornell would then make it a 3-0 lead, pushing past the Crimson on court five for a 6-3, 6-4 win.
Junior Andy Zhou came through with Harvard's first point of the day on court two with a three-set triumph over Alafia Ayeni, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, to ensue a comeback as the Crimson would go on to take three straight matches. Robert Wrzesinski fended off Daniel Grunberger in the No. 4 spot, 7-6, 7-6, to make it 3-2, before Kenny Tao took down Volfson in the top spot, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 to tie the match.
Despite taking the first set 6-3, sophomore Galen Lee was defeated on court six as McAllister reeled off back-to-back wins in set two and three to clinch the match for the Big Red.
The Crimson will close out the season at home next weekend, April 21-22, hosting Princeton and Penn on the Ivy League Network.
1. Ayeni/Kazakov (C) def. Tao/Weber, 7-6
2. Morrow/Solomon (H) def. McAllister/Volfson, 7-6
3. Grunberger/Hansen (C) def. Wrzesinski/Zhou, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1*
1. Kenny Tao (H) def. David Volfson, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Andy Zhou (H) def. Alafia Ayeni, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Lev Kazakov (C) def. Jean Thirouin, 6-2, 6-3
4. Robert Wrzesinski (H) def. Daniel Grunberger, 7-6, 7-6
5. Jake Hansen (C) def. Grant Solomon, 6-3, 6-4
6. Joseph McAllister (C) def. Galen Lee, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 5, 2, 4, 1, 6*