CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 28 Harvard men's tennis team upped its win streak to five matches this afternoon, April 8, after defeating Yale, 4-3, at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. The Crimson inched closer to its first 20-win campaign since 2012, improving to 19-3 on the season, 11-0 at home and 3-0 in conference play.
Harvard claimed a hard-fought doubles point after earning wins on courts three and one. Robert Wrzesinski teamed with Andy Zhou for the first time the season, securing a 6-2 win in the No. 3 spot to start doubles action. The Crimson's No. 1 doubles tandem Kenny Tao and Logan Weber then clinched the point with a 6-4 win over Fedor Andrienko and Stefan Doehler to give Harvard a 1-0 lead.
Yale evened the score at one match each with a 6-4, 6-1 win on court four, before taking its first lead of the day after posting a 6-4, 6-4 win in the No. 1 spot. Andy Zhou answered with his 13th singles victory this spring, taking down Andrew Heller in the No. 2 spot in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3.
The Bulldogs then took a 3-2 lead with a 6-3, 6-4 win on court five. Galen Lee seized the momentum back for the Crimson, tying the score at 3-3 following a 6-4, 7-5 triumph on court six to keep the match alive.
With the match on the line, it came down to freshman Robert Wrzesinski in the No. 3 spot. Despite falling 3-6 in the first set, Wrzesinski battled back to claim his 10th-straight singles win and clinch the match for the Crimson, taking the next two sets 6-1, 6-2.
The Crimson will travel to No. 15 Columbia and No. 47 Cornell next Saturday and Sunday, April 14-15 for its final road trip of the season. Both matches are set to begin at 1 p.m.
1. Kenny Tao/Logan Weber (H) def. Andrienko/Doehler (Y), 6-4
2. Christopher Morrow/Grant Solomon (H) vs. Cheng/King (Y), DNF
3. Robert Wrzesinski/Andy Zhou (H) def. Zrgi Wang/Heller (Y), 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. Dylan King (Y) def. Kenny Tao (H), 6-4, 6-4
2. Andy Zhou (H) def. Andrew Heller (Y), 6-3, 6-3
3. Robert Wrzesinski (H) def. Stefan Doehler (Y), 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Zigi Wang (Y) def. Grant Solomon (H), 6-4, 6-1
5. Fedor Andrienko (Y) def. Constantin Zoske (H), 6-3, 6-4
6. Galen Lee (H) def. Ryan Cheng (Y), 6-4, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 5, 6, 3*