SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The No. 25 Harvard men's tennis team earned its second straight win of the weekend this afternoon at the University of San Diego, defeating No. 37 Texas Tech. The Crimson picked up a 4-2 win over the Red Raiders to improve to 14-2 on this season and advance to the finals of the San Diego Spring Classic tomorrow, March 17.
For the second straight match, Harvard's No. 3 doubles pair Jean Thirouin and Andy Zhou carried the day to help the Crimson earn the doubles point. The duo defeated Artem Kapshuk and Ilgiz Valiev of Texas Tech with a 7-6 (5) tiebreak win to bring home the first point of the match for Harvard. In the No. 1 spot for the Crimson, Kenny Tao and Logan Weber helped Harvard to victory by taking five straight games that included three breaks to push past the Red Raiders with a 6-4 win.
After the Red Raiders gained a point on court six to tie the match, Tao answered with a 6-2, 6-4 win in the No. 1 singles spot for the Crimson. Andy Zhou then provided the second point of the day for Harvard, ousting Texas Tech's No. 2 spot with a 7-5, 6-1 win to push the Crimson's advantage to 3-1. The Red Raiders came within one point on court four, until freshman Robert Wrzesinski came through with the clincher for the Crimson. After falling 2-6 in set one, Wrzesinski battled to win the next two sets 6-4, 6-3 to seal it for Harvard.
The Crimson will face No. 24 Memphis tomorrow, March 17 in the championship round of the San Diego Spring Classic. First serve time is to be announced.
1. Kenny Tao and Logan Weber (H) def. Connor Curry and Tommy Mylnikov (T), 6-4
2. Jackson Cobb and Alex Sendegeya (T) def. Christopher Morrow and Grant Solomon (H), 6-4
3. Jean Thirouin and Andy Zhou (H) def. Artem Kapshuk and Ilgiz Valiev (T), 7-6 (5)
1. Kenny Tao (H) def. Tommy Mylnikov (T), 6-2, 6-4
2. Andy Zhou (H) def. Connor Curry (T), 7-5, 6-1
3. Jean Thirouin (H) vs. Alex Sendegeya (T), 6-1, 4-6, 5-4, DNF
4. Ilgiz Valiev (T) def. Grant Solomon (H), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
5. Robert Wrzesinski (H) def. Artem Kapshuk (T), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Matheus Leite (T) def. Andrew Ball (H), 6-2, 6-3