ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The Harvard men's tennis team was edged 4-0 by the No. 13 ranked Michigan Wolverines (4-2) this Saturday afternoon, Feb. 10. The loss was the first of the season for the Crimson, bringing its record to 6-1.
Michigan won the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead in the match. The Wolverines' ninth-ranked senior duo Alex Knight and Runhao Hua first took down Kenny Tao and Logan Weber in the No. 1 slot, 6-3. Doubles pair Mattias Siimar and Kristofer Siimar clinched the point for Michigan, defeating Grant Solomon and Christopher Morrow 7-5 in a hard-fought match at the No. 3 spot.
The Wolverines carried its momentum into singles play, recording wins over Harvard in the No. 2, 4 and 5 slots. On court five, Carter Lin pushed past Andrew Ball with a straight sets 6-2, 6-3 victory to start. Michigan's No. 113th-ranked Myles Schalet was next to secure a point, defeating Grant Solomon 6-3, 6-4. Junior Andy Zhou battled No. 42 Runhao Hua on court two, but fell 6-2, 6-2 as the Wolverines sealed the match.
The Crimson will close out its road trip at Michigan State, tomorrow Feb. 11 at 12 p.m.
1. No. 9 Alex Knight/ Runhao Hua (U-M) d. Kenny Tao/ Logan Weber (Harvard), 6-3
2. Myles Schalet/ Connor Johnston (U-M) d. Jean Thirouin/ Andy Zhou (Harvard), 5-5 unfinished
3. Mattias Siimar/Kristofer Siimar (U-M) d. Grant Solomon/ Christopher Morrow (Harvard), 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. No. 3 Alex Knight (U-M) v. Kenny Tao (Harvard), 3-6, 5-4 unfinished
2. No. 42 Runhao Hua (U-M) d. Andy Zhou (Harvard), 6-2, 6-2
3. Mattias Siimar (U-M) v. Robert Wrzesinski (Harvard), 5-7, 3-3 unfinished
4. No. 113 Myles Schalet (U-M) d. Grant Solomon (Harvard), 6-3, 6-4
5. Carter Lin (U-M) d. Andrew Ball (Harvard), 6-2, 6-3
6. Davis Crocker (U-M) v. Constantin Zoske (Harvard), 6-3, 3-6 unfinished
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2