CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's tennis team preserved its unbeaten record this Sunday at the Murr Center Tennis Courts to improve to 5-0 on the season after defeating Bryant and Utah, both by 5-2 margins, in dual play.
The Crimson once again clinched the doubles point in both matches, now having secured doubles in all five matches this spring. Christopher Morrow and Grant Solomon had a perfect day in doubles, defeating both Utah's No. 3 pair and Bryant's No. 2 spot, 6-1. Harvard secured doubles against Utah after Kenny Tao and Logan Weber won in the No. 1 slot, 6-4. Michael Peters and Constantin Zoske sealed it for the Crimson against Bryant, defeating the No. 3 pair, 6-4.
In singles action, Robert Wrzesinski and Solomon finished the weekend 2-0, both staying undefeated in spring season play. Wrzesinski clinched the match for the Crimson against Utah in a close 6-2, 7-5 win in the No. 4 spot.
Senior co-captain Tao and Galen Lee made their singles debut this spring with Tao defeating Utah's No. 1 slot, 6-4, 7-6 (2) and Lee downing Bryant in the No. 6 spot, 6-2, 6-1. Both Andy Zhou and Zoske went 1-1 in singles action today.
"The Crimson Kick-Off turned out to be a great event with 4 tight matches over the weekend featuring 4 top conferences (SEC, PAC-12, American Athletic and Ivies)," stated associate head coach Andrew Rueb. "Against Utah, there were many strong performances that helped push us across the finish line. In doubles, it was a great outing by Chris and Grant to get us on the board right from the start. They really committed to playing aggressively and it payed off. Kenny and Logan played sharp doubles as well and helped us get a 1-0 lead."
- Harvard now leads Bryant 5-0 and ties Utah 2-2 in the all-time series
- The Crimson has clinched the doubles point in each of its five spring dual matches
- Galen Lee, Grant Solomon, Kenny Tao, Logan Weber, and Robert Wrzesinski are all undefeated in singles action this spring
The Crimson continues its home stretch with a match against South Florida on Sunday, Feb. 4 at 2 p.m., aired on the Ivy League Network.
Results for Utah
1. Kenny Tao (H) def. David Micevski (U) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
2. Dan Little (U) def. Jean Thirouin (H), 7-5, 3-4
3. Andy Zhou (H) def. Slava Shainyan (U), 6-2, 6-2
4. Robert Wrzesinski (H) def. Egbert Wereink (U), 6-2, 7-5
5. Grant Solomon (H) def. R. Benkaim (U), 6-3, 6-3
6. Santiago Sierra (U) def. Constantin Zoske (H), 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4, 2, 1, 6
1. Kenny Tao and Logan Weber (H) def. Joe Woolley and Dan Little (U), 6-4
2. Randy Cory and R. Benkaim (U) def. Jean Thirouin and Andy Zhou (H), 6-2
3. Christopher Morrow and Grant Solomon (H) def. Azat Hankuliyev and Egbert Weverink (U), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
Results for Bryant
1. Matt Kuhar (B) def. Andy Zhou (H), 2-6, 6-3, 10-7
2. Robert Wrzesinski (H) def. Wilson Dong (B), 6-1, 6-3
3. Grant Solomon (H) def. Luke Lorenz (B), 6-4, 6-3
4. Artur Jakubowsky (B) def. Constantin Zoske (H), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 14-12
5. Logan Weber (H) def. Guido Argentini (B), 6-1, 6-3
6. Galen Lee (H) def. Michael Plutt (B), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 6, 3, 1 ,4
1. Matt Kuhar and Artur Jakubowsky (B) def. Logan Weber and Andy Zhou (H), 6-4
2. Grant Solomon and Christopher Morrow (H) def. Trent Massam and Jorge Orttiz-Garcia (B), 6-1
3. Michael Peters and Constantin Zoske (H) def. Luke Lorenz and Grant Pertile (B), 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1