CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's tennis team picked up a 5-2 win over Auburn to start the Crimson Kick-Off this Saturday, Jan. 27. The Crimson moves to 3-0 overall this season and is set to face Utah in the finals tomorrow, Jan. 28., at 9:30 a.m.
For its third-straight match, Harvard had a strong showing in doubles, securing the point from its top two pairings. Senior captain Kenny Tao and sophomore Logan Weber teamed up again in the No. 1 spot for a 6-4 win over Auburn's top doubles pair. The Crimson clinched the doubles point as senior captain Jean Thirouin and junior Andy Zhou defeated Auburn's No. 2 pair, 6-4, as well.
Thirouin continued to dominate in the singles round, recording a straight sets win in the No. 1 spot over Auburn's Edward Nguyen, 6-3, 6-1. Senior Grant Solomon was the first to secure a win in singles, defeating Auburn's No. 4 spot, 6-1, 6-2. Zhou closed out the match for the Crimson after defeating Auburn in the No. 2 slot, 6-2, 6-4, to secure the win.
"The margins are really small in college tennis," stated associate head coach Andrew Rueb. "There had never been a more exciting product. The difference between 20 and 60 in the country is razor thin. We won a few more big points today against Auburn. Nice job by Andy Zhou in closing out his match at No. 2 singles for the win. I thought everyone contributed their energy to help push us over the finish line. Congrats too to captain Jean Thiroun for getting a big win at first singles. Today it was the top of the line-up that pulled us through. Tomorrow's match will follow a different script, but everyone has to be ready."
- Harvard advances to 5-1 over Auburn in the all-time series
- The Crimson has clinched the doubles point in each of its three matches this spring season
Harvard will face Utah in the finals of the Crimson Kick-Off tomorrow, Jan. 28 at 9:30 a.m. Auburn and Wichita State will play in consolation at 1 p.m. Both will be broadcast on the Ivy League Network.
1. Jean Thirouin (H) def. Edward Nguyen (A), 6-3, 6-1
2. Andy Zhou (H) def. Carles Sarrio (A), 6-2, 6-4
3. Olle Thestrup (A) def. Robert Wrzesinski (H), 7-5, 7-6 (5)
4. Grant Solomon (H) def. Lorenzo Rodriguez (A), 6-1, 6-2
5. Andrew Ball (H) def. Brandon Laubser (A), 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
6. Tad Maclean (A) def. Constantin Zoske (H), 6-2, 2-6, 1-6
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 6, 3, 5
1. Kenny Tao and Logan Weber (H) def. edward Nguyen and Olle Testrup (A), 6-4
2. Andy Zhou and Jean Thirouin (H) def. Diego Chavarria and Carles Sarrio (A), 6-4
3. Grant Solomon and Christopher Morrow vs. Lorenzo Rodriguez and Tad Maclean (A), DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2