DALLAS, Texas – In its spring-season opening match, the Harvard men's tennis team kicked off 2018 with an exciting 4-3 win over Southern Methodist University tonight in Dallas, Texas.
Harvard (1-0) started its first dual match off strong securing the doubles point. Top doubles pair Kenny Tao and Logan Weber clinched the point in a huge 7-6 tie breaker win over SMU's Jean-Simon Vrbsky and Tomas Vaise, saving the Crimson four match points. Jean Thirouin and Andy Zhou teamed up for a 7-5 win in the number two spot, while Grant Solomon and Christopher Morrow fell to SMU's number three pair, 6-1.
In the number four singles spot, Robert Wrzesinski recorded a straight sets win over Roberto Rosales, 6-2, 6-0. Constantin Zoske was next to clinch his match at the number six spot, defeating SMU's Gardiner Perotti, 6-4, 6-4.
The Crimson sealed the match when Grant Solomon defeated Charles Nettlefold 7-6, 6-3 in the number three spot.
"It was a great team effort", stated associate head coach Andrew Rueb. "I thought the guys stayed composed and managed the stress of the season opener very well. It was decided by one or two points and we did a good job of riding the roller coster of the match. Kenny and Logan saved four match points in doubles that was certainly the pivotal moment. Our two freshmen both got wins in their inaugural match for the Crimson. Congrats to Robert and Constantin. And, with the match on the line, Grant Solomon managed to lock down the final point. Grant did an excellent job of staying focused and staying within himself in the big moments."
- The Crimson takes the lead in the all-time series against SMU, 3-2.
- This was the first time the two teams met since 2001.
Harvard returns to action this Sunday, facing the University of Texas, Arlington at 1 p.m. EST.
1. Vrbsky, Jan-Simon (SMU) def. Thirouin, Jean (HARV) 6-4, 6-2
2. Vaise, Tomas (SMU) def. Zhou, Andy (HARV) 7-6, 6-4
3. Solomon, Grant (HARV) def. Nettlefold, Charles (SMU) 7-6, 6-3
4. Vrzesinski, Robertas (HARV) def. Rosales, Roberto (SMU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Fabregas, Eladio (SMU) def. Ball, Andrew (HARV) 6-2, 7-5
6. Zoske, Constantin (HARV) def. Perotti, Gardiner (SMU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 3, 2
1. Tao, Kenny/Weber, Logan (HARV) def. Vrbsky, Jan-Simon/Vaise, Tomas (SMU) 7-6
2. Thirouin, Jean/Zhou, Andy (HARV) def. Nettlefold, Charles/Rosales, Roberto (SMU) 7-5
3. Fabregas, Eladio/Perotti, Gardiner (SMU) def. Solomon, Grant/Morrow, Christopher (HARV) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1