CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's tennis team swept dual matches against Buffalo and Amherst today at the Murr Center Tennis Courts to improve to 12-8 on the season. In the first dual match of the day, Harvard needed junior co-captain Jean Thirouin's three-set win at No. 2 singles to clinch the match a 4-3.
"It was a thrill to play a match that came down to the last man standing," said associate head coach Andrew Rueb. "Buffalo has an outstanding team and is certainly one of the top teams in our region. Hats off to our junior captain, Jean Thirouin for winning the decisive match. He continues to play aggressive under pressure."
The Crimson clinched the doubles point in that match, as wins by 57th-ranked doubles pair Kenny Tao and Brian Yeung (6-4), and Logan Weber and Christopher Morrow (6-4) helped Harvard get off to a good start. For both pairs it was their 13th wins of the season.
In singles play, Tao finished the weekend 2-0 with his victory in the No. 1 spot over Buffalo's Sheng Kaoy, 7-6, 7-1. Andy Zhou also won at No. 4, 7-6 (4), 6-2, before Thirouin's match clinching victory.
"A special shout out is deserved for our mental coach Lorenzo Beltrame for all his help to build up our confidence in the big moments," Rueb said. "Jean found a way to relish the opportunity."
In the afternoon match against Amherst College, with Harvard's lineup shuffled, the Crimson swept doubles matches with Tao and Weber teaming for the first time this season to earn a 6-2 win at No. 1. Peters and Thirouin won at No. 2 doubles, 6-4, and Samuel Beren partnered with Zhou to win 6-4 at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, freshman Galen Lee clinched the match with a three-set win at No. 3 singles over Amherst's Anton Zykov, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.
Harvard will kick off Ivy League play next weekend with a road dual match at Dartmouth on April 1 at 2 p.m.
Harvard 4, Buffalo 3
1) Kenny Tao/Brian Yeung (Harvard) def. Filip Grbic/Hao Sheng Koay (Buffalo), 6-4
2) Villhelm Fridell/Petr Vodak (Buffalo) def. Jean Thirouin/Michael Peters (Harvard), 6-3
3) Logan Weber/Christopher Morrow (Harvard) def. Ethan Nittolo/Tony Miller (Buffalo), 6-4
1) Tao (Harvard) def. Sheng Koay (Buffalo), 7-6, 6-1
2) Thirouin (Harvard) def. Vidit Vaghela (Buffalo), 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
3) Grbic (Buffalo) def. Yeung (Harvard), 7-6 (4), 6-2
4) Andy Zhou (Harvard) def. Fridell (Buffalo), 7-6 (4), 6-2
5) Vodak (Buffalo) def. Morrow (Harvard), 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
6) Nittolo (Buffalo) def. Galen Lee (Harvard), 4-6, 7-6 (2), 6-0
Harvard 4, Amherst 3
1) Tao/Weber (Harvard) def. Zach Bessette/Jayson Fung(Amherst), 6-2
2) Peters/Thirouin (Harvard) def. Anton Zykov/Gabe Owens (Amherst), 6-4
3) Samuel Beren/Zhou (Harvard) def. Josh Marchalik/Nathan Kaplan (Amherst), 6-4
1) Zhou (Harvard) def. Bessette (Amherst), 6-0, 6-4
2) Marchalik (Amherst) def. Grant Solomon (Harvard), 7-6 (6), 6-2
3) Lee (Harvard) def. Zykov (Amherst), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4) Weber (Harvard) def. Owens (Amherst), 6-4, 6-2
5) Fung (Amherst) def. Peters (Harvard), 6-3, 6-3
6) Oscar Burney (Amherst) def. Xavier Gonzalez, 6-2, 6-1