Junior co-captain Jean Thirouin picked up wins in both singles and doubles play (with partner Sebastian Beltrame) against UC-Irvine on Monday (Dean Bauer)
IRVINE, Calif. – The Harvard men's tennis team (8-6) kicked off its spring break trip to California with a 4-3 dual match win at UC Irvine on Monday afternoon.
Harvard got off to a quick start in the dual match against the Anteaters, winning the doubles point by sweeping all three doubles matches. Sebastian Beltrame and Jean Thirouin teamed for a win in No. 2 doubles (6-4) to improve to 5-1 on the year. Then 40th-ranked pair Kenny Tao and Brian Yeung recorded their sixth straight win and improved to 10-3 on the season at No. 1 doubles with a 7-5 win over Irvine's Mason Hansen and Luca Marquard to clinch the doubles point.
Christopher Morrow and Logan Weber improved to 9-3 on the year with a 7-6 (7-5) win at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, all matches were decided in straight sets. The Crimson won three consecutive matches to clinch the win, starting with Andy Zhou's 6-3, 6-2 win over Mason Hanson. Thirouin won his third straight singles match and improved to 7-3 on the season with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Luis Lopez. Then Grant Solomon won at No. 5 singles – 6-3, 6-3 – against Bruce Man-Son-Hing to help Harvard earn the fourth point and win the dual match.
Later this week, Harvard will play in the Mission Valley Spring Classic tournament in San Diego, Calif. (March 16-18).
Harvard 4, UC Irvine 3
Mar 13, 2017 at Irvine, Calif. (Anteater Tennis Stadium)
1. #113 Sebastian Heim (UCI) def. Kenny Tao (HARV) 6-2, 6-4
2. Luca Marquard (UCI-M) def. Brian Yeung (HARV) 5-7, 6-1, retired
3. Jean Thirouin (HARV) def. Luis Lopez (UCI) 6-1, 6-4
4. Andy Zhou (HARV) def. Mason Hansen (UCI) 6-3, 6-2
5. Grant Solomon (HARV) def. Bruce Man-Son-Hing (UCI) 6-3, 6-3
6. Vatsal Bajpai (UCI) def. Christopher Morrow (HARV) 7-5, 6-3
1. #40 Kenny Tao/Brian Yeung (HARV) def. Mason Hansen/Luca Marquard (UCI) 7-5
2. Sebastian Beltrame/Jean Thirouin (HARV) def. Sebastian Heim/Luis Lopez (UCI) 6-4
3. Christopher Morrow/Logan Weber (HARV) def. Vatsal Bajpai/Bruce Man-Son-Hing (UCI) 7-6 (7-5)