PROVIDENCE, R.I. – No. 48 Harvard men's tennis (16-10, 4-2) notched a 5-2 decision over Brown at the Pizzitola Sports Complex Sunday afternoon.
The Bears looked as though they may get momentum early, winning at No. 1 doubles, but seniors Nicky Hu and Kelvin Lam blanked Charles Tan and Jack Haworth and the senior-freshman combo of Conor Haughey and Andy Zhou squeaked by Mladen Mitak and Aaron Sandberg, 7-6.
Brown evened the score with a win at the top spot before Lam downed Sandberg in straight sets (6-3, 6-4). Sophomore Kenny Tao also blew past Mitak in straight sets to push the Crimson ahead, 3-1. The Bears looked as though they would make it interesting, pulling within one after Haworth's win at court No. 2, but freshman Jean Thirouin won his second two-set match of the weekend and Zhou added the fifth point for the Crimson.
The Crimson wraps the regular season against Dartmouth Saturday at 2 p.m.
1. Tarwid, Peter (BROWN) def. Hu, Nicky (HARV) 6-1, 6-4
2. Haworth, Jack (BROWN) def. Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) 6-7, 7-6, 6-4
3. Tao, Kenny (HARV) def. Mitak, Mladen (BROWN) 6-3, 6-4
4. Lam, Kelvin (HARV) def. Sandberg, Aaron (BROWN) 6-3, 6-4
5. Zhou, Andy (HARV) def. Tan, Charles (BROWN) 2-6, 6-4, 10-3
6. Thirouin, Jean (HARV) def. Arocho, Anthony (BROWN) 6-3, 6-4
1. Garcia, Gregory/Tarwid, Peter (BROWN) def. Beltrame, Sebastian/Thirouin, Jean (HARV) 6-1
2. Hu, Nicky/Lam, Kelvin (HARV) def. Tan, Charles/Haworth, Jack (BROWN) 6-0
3. Haughey, Conor/Zhou, Andy (HARV) def. Mitak, Mladen/Sandberg, Aaron (BROWN) 7-6