CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 48 Harvard men's tennis team (15-10, 3-2) posted a 5-2 win over Yale (12-11, 0-5) in front of a large crowd at the Murr Center Friday evening.
The Crimson made quick work of getting its first point, as senior captain Nicky Hu and junior Brian Yeung won handily at the No. 1 position and junior Sebastian Beltrame and sophomore Jean Thirouin took care of Photos Photiades and Martin Svenning.
Thirouin was the first to finish on court No. 6, notching a straight-sets win (6-2, 6-1) over Dennis Wang. Kelvin Lam was next, winning the tiebreaker in the second set to best Alex Hagermoser. On the No. 2 court, Beltrame came back from a set down to defeat Fedor Andrienko (4-6, 6-3, 6-2).
Yale earned points at the No. 1 and No. 5 spots, but freshman Andy Zhou closed the match out with a 6-5, 4-6, 10-7 win over Martin Svenning.
Harvard pauses before heading to Brown Sunday.
1. Hu/Brian Yeung (Harvard) def. Andrienko/Doehler (Yale), 6-2
2. Beltrame/Thirouin (Harvard) def. Photiades/Svenning (Yale), 7-5
3. Morrow/Zhou (Harvard) vs. J. Brown/Hagermoser (Yale) unf.
1. Ziqi Wang (Yale) def. Nicky Hu (Harvard) 7-6 (5), 6-4
2. Sebastian Beltrame (Harvard) def. Fedor Andrienko (Yale), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Kelvin Lam (Harvard) def. Alex Hagermoser, 6-3, 7-6 (4)
4. Andy Zhou (Harvard) def. Martin Svenning (Yale), 6-4, 4-6, 10-7
5. Stefan Doehler (Yale) def. Christopher Morrow (Harvard) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
6. Jean Thirouin (Harvard) def. Dennis Wang 6-2, 6-1