SAN DIEGO, Calif. – No. 49 Harvard men's tennis (10-8) ended the Hilton San Diego Mission Valley Spring Classic on a high note Saturday, defeating No. 75 San Diego State, 4-1, at the Aztec Tennis Center.
Harvard set the tone with a doubles point win, as the rookie pair of Christopher Morrow and Andy Zhou handled Jonas Meinzer and Sander Gjoels-Anderson, 6-1. Senior captain Nicky Hu and Brian Yeung wrapped the point with a 7-5 win at the No. 1 spot.
The Crimson sealed the victory in the middle of its lineup, getting wins from the No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 positions. Kenny Tao dispensed Milen Ianakiev in three sets, coming from behind to win, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. Zhou picked up a straight-sets win over Cornelius Kolb, 6-2, 6-1. Yeung sealed the victory for the Crimson against Gjoels-Anderson.
The Crimson returns to the Murr Center to take on Old Dominion and Amherst Sunday, March 27.
1. No. 100 Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) vs. Nicky Hu (HAR) 4-6, 7-5, DNF
2. Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) def. Sebastian Beltrame (HAR) 6-3, 6-4
3. Kenny Tao (HAR) def. Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Brian Yeung (HAR) def. Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) 7-6 (4), 6-4
5. Andy Zhou (HAR) def. Cornelius Kolb (SDSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jonas Meinzer (SDSU) vs. Christopher Morrow (HAR) 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 DNF
1. Nicky Hu/Brian Yeung (HAR) def. Freddy Gelbrich/Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) 7-5
2. Milen Ianakiev/Santiago Cevallos (SDSU) def. Conor Haughey/Jean Thirouin (HAR) 6-4
3. Christopher Morrow/Andy Zhou (HAR) def. Jonas Meinzer/Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) 6-1