SAN DIEGO, Calif. – No. 49 Harvard men's tennis (9-6) dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 34 San Diego (9-6) Thursday evening at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
The Crimson won the doubles point, as Jean Thirouin and Sebastian Beltrams took care of Alexandros Araouzos and Romain Kalaydjian, 6-2. Nicky Hu and Brian Yeung sealed the point with a 6-4 victory over Uros Petronijevic and Filip Vittek.
Harvard could not muster a singles point, but Hu and No. 26 Petronijevic battled at the No. 1 position. The Crimson senior won the first set, 6-3, before Petronijevic evened the tally. Hu trailed 4-3 in the third before the match went unfinished.
Beltrame also went to a third set with No. 53 Jordna Angus, coming back from a 6-2 loss in the first to knot the contest with a 6-4 win in the second set. The pair was knotted 3-3 when the match ended.
Harvard will play Denver tomorrow at Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center on the campus of San Diego. The match is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET.
1. #26 Uros Petronijevic, San Diego def. #122 Hu, Nicky, Harvard 3-6, 6-3, 4-3 unfinished
2. Beltrame, Sebastian, Harvard #53 Jordan Angus, San Diego 6-2, 4-6, 3-3 unfinished
3. Filip Vittek, San Diego def. Tao, Kenny, Harvard 7-5, 6-2
4. #118 Romain Kalaydjian, San Diego def. Lam, Kelvin, Harvard 7-5, 6-2
5. Jaan Kononov, San Diego def. Zhou, Andy, Harvard 7-5, 6-1
6. Alexandros Araouzos, San Diego def. Thirouin, Jean, Harvard 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 4, 5, 3
1. Hu, Nicky/Yeung, Brian, Harvard def. Uros Petronijevic/Filip Vittek, San Diego 6-4
2. Joshua Page/Jordan Angus, San Diego def. Zhou, Andy/Morrow, Christopher, Harvard 6-1
3. Thirouin, Jean/Beltrame, Sebastian, Harvard def. Alexandros Araouzos/Romain Kalaydjian, USD 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1