PHILADELPHIA – The Harvard men's tennis team (7-4) fell to No. 60 Cornell by a 4-1 score Saturday afternoon in the semifinals of the ECAC Championships at Hecht Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania.
Harvard narrowly dropped the doubles point, 2-1. Lam and senior captain Conor Haughey bested Arem and Karlo Lozic 6-3.
Senior Kelvin Lam posted the lone singles victory for the Crimson at the No. 6 slot. Lam defeated Karim Arem of Cornell (3-5) in three sets, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Kenny Tao nearly overtook Chris Vrabel at No. 4, winning the first set by a score of 6-3. Vrabel rebounded, winning 6-3 and 7-4 to take the point.
Harvard will await the loser of the Penn/Princeton match for a chance to take third place tomorrow at 9 a.m.
1. Volfson, David (CORN) def. Hu, Nicky (HARV) 7-6, 6-1
2. Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) vs. Sinclair, Colin (CORN) unfinished
3. Casares Rosa, Bernar (CORN) def. Yeung, Brian (HARV) 7-6, 6-3
4. Vrabel, Chris (CORN) def. Tao, Kenny (HARV) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Zhou, Andy (HARV) vs. Lozic, Karlo (CORN) unfinished
6. Lam, Kelvin (HARV) def. Arem, Karim (CORN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Volfson, David/Sinclair, Colin (CORN) def. Hu, Nicky/Yeung, Brian (HARV) 6-4
2. Casares Rosa, Bernar/Vrabel, Chris (CORN) def. Beltrame, Sebastian/Tao, Kenny (HARV) 6-4
3. Lam, Kelvin/Haughey, Conor (HARV) def. Arem, Karim/Lozic, Karlo (CORN) 6-3