FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 32 Harvard men's tennis team (3-1) bested No. 39 San Diego State (1-2) in the consolation match of the ITA Kick Off Sunday afternoon at Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center on the campus of TCU.
Harvard took the doubles point, as Sebastian Beltrame and Kenny Tao handled Milen Ianakiev and Marko Goles-Babic, 6-1. Conor Haughey and Kelvin Lam earned the point after a 7-6 win over S. Gjoels-Anderson and Jonas Meinzer.
The Crimson dropped two points at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots. Senior captain Nicky Hu lost a three-set match (3-6, 6-3, 6-3) to Freddy Gelbrich. Beltrame won his battle against Ianakiev, overcoming a first-set deficit to take the match (4-6, 6-1, 6-3). Freshman Andy Zhou won in straight sets, and sophomore Grant fought back from a 6-4 loss in the first set to take sets two and three, 6-4, 6-3.
Harvard returns to the Murr Tennis Center to take on Tulane and Drake next weekend.
1. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Hu, Nicky (HARV) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) def. Yeung, Brian (HARV) 7-6, 6-2
3. Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) def. Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. S. Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) def. Tao, Kenny (HARV) 6-3, 6-2
5. Zhou, Andy (HARV) def. Jonas Meinzer (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Solomon, Grant (HARV) def. Cornelius Kolb (SDSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Hu, Nicky/Yeung, Brian (HARV) vs. Freddy Gelbrich/Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) 5-6, unfinished
2. Beltrame, Sebastian/Tao, Kenny (HARV) def. Milen Ianakiev/Marko Goles-Babic (SDSU) 6-1
3. Haughey, Conor/Lam, Kelvin (HARV) def. S. Gjoels-Andersen/Jonas Meinzer (SDSU) 7-6