CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – No. 34 Harvard men's tennis team (19-6, 5-1) wrapped its home slate with a 5-2 win over Brown Sunday afternoon at the Beren Tennis Center. The Crimson honored seniors Shaun Chaudhuri, Denis Nguyen, Henry Steer and Alex Steinroeder playing in their last home match.
"Andrew and I want to congratulate these four on their tremendous contributions to Harvard Tennis," said Dave Fish, The Scott Mead '77 Head Coach for Harvard Men's Tennis. "While we knew that we had four young men who were the right fit for our program character-wise, we had no idea of the heights they would bring the team to competitively. They've left a mark that will leave positive ripples - and epic stories of matches saved for us to tell - for many years to come."
Harvard took the doubles point with three wins after shaking up the lineup. Junior Nicky Hu and sophomore Sebastian Beltrame earned a 7-5 win over Justin To and Brandon Yech at the No. 1 spot, as Nguyen and Grant Solomon paired to take home a victory at the No. 2 position. Sophomore Brian Yeung and freshman Jean Thirouin edged their opponent, 7-6.
"This is an amazing senior class," said associate head coach Andrew Rueb. "Henry, Alex, Shaun and Denis have been instrumental in the re-emergence of the Crimson on the national scene. Their record speaks for itself with two Ivy titles, two ECAC crowns and all the NCAA tournament victories and appearances. Their competitive spirit, love of the game, and dedication to Harvard Tennis has created a culture of excellence. Not only are they great players - they are equally exemplary young men and scholars. We are so proud. Our team, especially our freshmen, will carry on the traditions they learned from these seniors. We wish them the best of luck in their next adventures!"
The Crimson took four of six singles matches to wrap the day. Nguyen and Steinroeder ended their home career on a high note with wins at the No. 1 and No. 5 spots, respectively. Hu won in straight-sets over Gregory Garcia at the second slot. Freshman Kenny Tao won his sixth-straight with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Aaron Sandberg.
Harvard heads to Dartmouth to wrap the regular season.
1. #39 Nguyen, Denis (HARV) def. To, Justin (BROWN) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Hu, Nicky (HARV) def. Garcia, Gregory (BROWN) 6-3, 6-3
3. Yech, Brandon (BROWN) def. Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Tarwid, Peter (BROWN) def. Yeung, Brian (HARV) 6-1, 7-6
5. Steinroeder, Alex (HARV) def. Kravtchenko, Ivan (BROWN) 6-3, 7-5
6. Tao, Kenny (HARV) def. Sandberg, Aaron (BROWN) 6-2, 6-1
1. Hu, Nicky/Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) def. To, Justin/Yech, Brandon (BROWN) 7-5
2. Nguyen, Denis/Solomon, Grant (HARV) def. Garcia, Gregory/Kravtchenko, Ivan (BROWN) 6-3
3. Yeung, Brian/Thirouin, Jean (HARV) def. Tarwid, Peter/Haworth, Jack (BROWN) 7-6