NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The No. 34 Harvard men's tennis team earned a 5-2 win at Yale Friday afternoon, moving to 18-6 overall and 4-1 in the Ivy League.
Yale (11-10, 1-4) came out strong, earning the doubles point to hold a 1-0 advantage. The Crimson came back strong with two-straight wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Junior Nicky Hu earned a straight-sets victory over Martin Svenning and sophomore Sebastian Beltrame followed it up with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Stefan Doehler.
Yale's Tyler Lu evened the tally at 2-2, before Harvard rattled off three-straight victories. Freshman Kenny Tao continued his hot streak with a three-set comeback thriller over Daniel Faierman (2-6, 6-3, 6-3). Senior captain Alex Steinroeder clinched the match, defeating Fedor Andrienko (6-0, 4-6, 6-2) and sophomore Brian Yeung wrapped the day with a win over Ziqi Wang.
The Crimson will be back in action Sunday for senior day against Brown at 1 p.m.
1. Lu, Tyler (YALE) def. #39 Nguyen, Denis (HARV) 6-3, 7-6
2. Hu, Nicky (HARV) def. Svenning, Martin (YALE) 6-2, 6-0
3. Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) def. Doehler, Stefan (YALE) 6-3, 7-5
4. Yeung, Brian (HARV) def. Wang, Ziqi (YALE) 6-4, 6-2, 4-3
5. Tao, Kenny (HARV) def. Faierman, Daniel (YALE) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Steinroeder, Alex (HARV) def. Andrienko, Fedor (YALE) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
1. Andrienko, Fedor/Doehler, Stefan (YALE) def. #17 Nguyen, Denis/Yeung, Brian (HARV) 6-2
2. Hu, Nicky/Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) def. Faierman, Daniel/Svenning, Martin (YALE) 6-4
3. Lu, Tyler/Hagermoser, Alex (YALE) def. Thirouin, Jean/Solomon, Grant (HARV) 6-2