PRINCETON, N.J. – No. 35 Harvard men's tennis bested Princeton, 4-3, as freshman Kenny Tao clinched the match to push the Crimson to 3-1 in Ivy League play.
Harvard (16-6) lost the doubles point to start the day and needed to win four points in singles play for the victory. At the No. 6 position, Princeton's Diego Vives pushed the Tigers lead to 2-0, but the Crimson rebounded with three-straight wins.
Senior captain Denis Nguyen earned a 6-4, 6-3 win over Zack McCourt at the No. 1 position and on court No. 3, sophomore Sebastian Beltrame earned a straight-set victory over Alex Day (6-4, 6-4). Sophomore Brian Yeung earned a gritty 7-6, 3-6, 6-1 win over Josh Yablon at the No. 4 position to put the Crimson ahead, 3-2.
Tom Colautti evened the score and the match came down to the No. 5 spot. Tao fought back from a 5-7 loss in the first set to win the next two, 7-5 and 6-3, and clinch the match for Harvard.
1. #37 Nguyen, Denis (HARV) def. McCourt, Zack (PRINCE) 6-4, 6-3
2. Colautti, Tom (PRINCE) def. Hu, Nicky (HARV) 4-6, 7-6, 6-2
3. Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) def. Day, Alex (PRINCE) 6-4, 6-4
4. Yeung, Brian (HARV) def. Yablon, Josh (PRINCE) 7-6, 3-6, 6-1
5. Tao, Kenny (HARV) def. Gamble, Luke (PRINCE) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
6. Vives, Diego (PRINCE) def. Solomon, Grant (HARV) 6-4, 6-2
1. #49 McCourt, Zack/Colautti, Tom (PRINCE) def. #10 Nguyen, Denis/Yeung, Brian (HARV) 6-4
2. Beltrame, Sebastian/Hu, Nicky (HARV) def. Day, Alex/Tso, Ben (PRINCE) 6-1
3. Gamble, Luke/Kaiser, Kial (PRINCE) def. Ball, Andrew/Chaudhuri, Shaun (HARV) 7-5