PHILADELPHIA – No. 35 Harvard men's tennis (15-6, 2-1) upended Penn, 5-2, Saturday afternoon on the Hamlin Tennis Courts. The Crimson took five of the six singles matches for the win over the Quakers (14-7, 0-4) to secure the victory.
The Quakers earned the doubles point, but the Crimson fought back with five straight-set victories. Sophomore Brian Yeung earned a win over Matt Nardella at the No. 4 spot (6-4, 6-4). Classmates Kenny Tao and Grant Solomon took care of business at the No. 5 and No. 6 spots, respectively.
Junior Nicky Hu continued the winning at the No. 2 position with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Blaine Willenborg. Sophomore Sebastian Beltrame earned a point with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Josh Pompan at the No. 3 slot.
Harvard will be back in action tomorrow at Princeton.
1. Court, Jeremy (PENN) def. Nguyen, Denis (HARV) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0
2. Hu, Nicky (HARV) def. Willenborg, Blaine (PENN) 6-2, 6-4
3. Beltrame, Sebastian (HARV) def. Pompan, Josh (PENN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Yeung, Brian (HARV) def. Nardella, Matt (PENN) 6-4, 6-4
5. Tao, Kenny (HARV) def. Westergaard, Nichola (PENN) 6-2, 6-2
6. Solomon, Grant (HARV) def. Lahlou, Ismael (PENN) 7-6, 6-2
1. Court, Jeremy/Westergaard, Nichola (PENN) def. Nguyen, Denis/Yeung, Brian (HARV) 6-4
2. Beltrame, Sebastian/Thirouin, Jean (HARV) def. Nardella, Matt/Sharp, Marshall (PENN) 6-3
3. Willenborg, Blaine/Kaplan, Austin (PENN) def. Hu, Nicky/Steinroeder, Alex (HARV) 7-6