Kelvin Lam pulled out a three-set victory at fifth singles Sunday against Old Dominion (Harvard Athletic COmmunications).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Despite pulling out a pair of three-set singles victories, the No. 27 Harvard men's tennis team dropped a 4-3 final to Old Dominion Sunday afternoon at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. The match against the monarchs marked the first home dual contest of the season for the Crimson.
The tightest doubles match was on the first court, where Nicky Hu and Andy Nguyen were playing their first match as Harvard's top tandem. ODU's Can Cetinel and Carlos Lopez Villa picked up a break and held on for an 8-6 win. Harvard's second team of Shaun Chaudhuri and Alex Steinroeder breezed past Albert Ochagavia and Jonas Kuwert at No. 2, 8-2, but the freshman pair of Kelvin Lam and Conor Haughey fell, 8-3, at No. 3, allowing Old Dominion to claim the doubles point.
Steinroeder highlighted singles play for the Crimson, rolling past Ochagavia at No. 2, 6-1, 6-2, to get Harvard on the board in the match. Shaun Chaudhuri played one of three, three-set matches on the day, battling Lopez Villa in a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 defeat. Andy Nguyen came out on top in a three-setter in the third singles slot, besting Dante Terenzio, 6-3, 5-7, 6-0 with a strong showing in the deciding set. The rookie Lam dropped the first set in his match at fifth singles, but rallied in the final two frames to clinch a 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 win over Wesley Barrett, giving Harvard three points on the day. Straight set losses by Hu at No. 4 and Haughey at No. 6 gave the Monarchs the points they needed for the slim 4-3 win.
Harvard is back on the road next weekend when it travels to Evanston, Ill., for matches against Northwestern and Vanderbilt.
1. Can Cetinel/Carlos Lopez Villa (ODU) def. Nicky Hu/Andy Nguyen (HARV), 8-6
2. Shaun Chaudhuri/Alex Steinroeder (HARV) def. Albert Ochagavia/Jonas Kuwert, 8-2
3. Wesley Barrett/Tim Schweig (ODU) def. Kelvin Lam/Conor Haughey (HARV), 8-3
1. Carlos Lopez Villa (ODU) def. Shaun Chaudhuri (HARV), 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. Alex Steinroeder (HARV) def. Albert Ochagavia (ODU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Andy Nguyen (HARV) def. Dante Terenzio (ODU), 6-3, 5-7, 6-0
4. Jonas Kuwert (ODU) def. Nicky Hu (HARV), 6-0, 6-1
5. Kelvin Lam (HARV) def. Wesley Barrett (ODU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Zvonimir Podvinski (ODU) def. Conor Haughey (HARV), 6-4, 6-4